Do you ever think about...

Our 60"s bikes didn't fare too well against the Big Detroit Iron in a straight line anyway. As the cars have shrunk and bikes getting to the Rockets dimensions one thing I have always sought and I don't think it is a uniquely American is to want to have the biggest something in life. I had to wait until I was pretty senior to be able to say that. How long will it last? Good **** question. I'm not as crazy as I was on it but still like the upper body workout it gives me every time I captain a ride on it.

Since the first bike that I ever rode on (as a passenger...a Yamaha 200cc) gave me the motorcycle bug ( so much that the very same night I knocked on my parents bedroom door and asked if I could get a motorcycle...was told NO! for my troubles) when I rode my first Honda 305 Super Hawk from Norfolk, VA to Jax, FL and then onto Pensacola, FL I really thougth/felt that I was the king of the road, no windshield, shorty pipes and first motorcycle speeding ticket (at speed trap outside of Florence, SC), but being as small as it was, my butt was the worse for wear and I sold it when I returned to Jax the next day.

As you can see I progressed thru all my bikes to bigger sized engines and ended up in Rocket land till this last April. I second what a lot of you have said, bigger is better (most of the time) and even though I am buying a 1700 T-Bird in March I am also planning on getting the Rocket III Tourer to keep my perspective and options open as far as riding is concerned.

Daryl brings up a good point, back then I was satisfied, somewhat, with a small engine as I didn't know better or hadn't been exposed to anything bigger. But as I rode more I did feel more "comfortable" in my "moving on up" stages. I have no regrets other than when I'm not on one or, in my present situation, don't have one.

As for my mom and dad saying NO! to me riding...eleven motorcycles later I guess I showed them.

Ride on,

Dennis

50 dtg Dubai
51 dtg London

148 dtg Dubai
149 dtg Home (Triumph motorcycles buying time)

They still make them. There's a guy in our club that has one. That's a nice bike for what it is. Interestingly enough, you can sell the **** things for what you pay for them; very popular bike for "newbies".

I'm always surprised what those Honda Rebels bring too. Seems like they just trade hands every year for whatever they paid for it a year ago. I guess the Ninja is for the newbie ****** rocket crowd and the Rebel is for the HD wanna-be just before the Sportster. :rolleyes:

Even though I'm not the "sittin' on yer nutz" type, I'd have to say the Ninja looks like more fun than the Rebel.

I miss my '72 Yamaha 250 Enduro, I had more fun (and cracked more bones) on that bike than anything else. Loved that bike! Used to ride it to school, I grew up in a small Kansas town and we weren't allowed to drive (or ride) motorized vehicles to school until Junior year in High school. You could ride a horse, but not a bike :confused:. I rode the 250 from 5th grade up and would lay it down in the weeds out back so I wouldn't get caught. All because I wouldn't ride the bus, I'd rather walk the 8 miles in whatever weather than ride the bus like a loser! ;)
Good times. LOL

Its all coz we want cubes= kick in the ass power- real acceleration- of course those little bikes are nice, but we all know why we have a Rocket, it's big and fast and nothing else in the world puts a grin like that on yer face (well maybe, but this is a kind a clean place open to 13 year olds) oh and I guess we like to show Harleys and Ferraris what acceleration is.

Back