Do you ever get "the itch"?!

So... I test rode the S1000XR. Great bike but due to the BMW dealer's lack of customer service I will pass.

I really don't understand why customer service is so bad in this flailing industry. Bike sales have dropped more than 20% in Oz and still falling.

So you'd think, that when a customer comes in ready to buy, that the sales person would show some interest. Didn't even introduce himself.

Beggars belief!!!

Especially if the missus finds out!.
I’ve developed some balls lately just doing it. I’ve agreed to fund some stuff for her and she gets to watch me spend on my stuff. ;)

If I want another bike I’ll buy it. I’ve started a small watch collection and that can be an expensive itch. :roll:

I’ve started a small watch collection and that can be an expensive itch. :roll:
So is collecting Rifle Sights - especially good ones.

I started small, and then one day this hove into view.

DSCF0009.JPG

They build muscles too.

So is collecting Rifle Sights - especially good ones.

I started small, and then one day this hove into view.

DSCF0009.JPG

They build muscles too.
Oh yea me likey.👏 What is it?

I love nice optics. It is a shame to see a $60 scope mounted on a $1000 rifle.🤬

Oh yea me likey.👏 What is it?
I love nice optics. It is a shame to see a $60 scope mounted on a $1000 rifle.🤬
US-Optics SN9 10-40x80 (yes 80mm objective) Weighs about 3.5kilograms.
In my book - Scope Price should be close to if not actually more than the rifle.
In my case easily more than a rifle.

I have actually participated in some Scope R&D - Optics&Lasers was what I really wanted to do when I left school.
But it transpired that whilst Physics holds no mysteries I was more gifted in chemistry - but also, especially, IT.

I had planned to go the the IWA gun fair this year to have a good browse - But COVID killed that.
I get trade access and LEO accreditation. ;)
I am keen to get my hands on some GOOD High Magnification prismatics. Schhhh!

Here are some ESOTERICS - I'll not say all are excellent.
DSCF0011.JPG

The one on the left is a stunning low light scope - Russian. Made by an optician. It is very very good. It beats NV in low lit urban environments. Totally useless during the day.
The next two are Russian - cheap and cheerful. I bought the leftovers from a company.
4th - A Premier Reticles-Schmidt&Bender hibrid. Mado for the (now ex)Olympic "Running Boar" discipline - 3 independent reticles.
Last - A scope I helped design - Catadioptric - this is #1 - I had#10 as well. I designed the reticle and paid some of the R&D material costs. It has a small focus defect I may one day resolve.

I have an ex Govt Davro Optical Systems electronic focus surveilance 4" or 5" lens system that would make a great scope for a cannon! ;) :cool:.
Weighs about 20kg on its flat bed base and from memory has a std 35mm Nikon camera and an old style video camera mount adaptor.
I think it may be one of these with older large round multi-pin plugs:

ZOOM SYSTEMS
Available in 4", 5", 7", 8", and 12" clear apertures with zoom ranges of 400 mm thru 3000 mm, 125 mm thru 1250 mm, 530 mm thru 4000 mm, 500 mm thru 4000 mm and 820 mm thru 6400 mm focal lengths.
All of these zoom lenses are electronically controlled and available with RS-422 serial communications and tell back of focus and zoom positions to obtain quantitative metric data.

Davro Optical Systems, (DOS) was founded in 1981 with the primary purpose to design and manufacture electro-optical systems for government and industry. The company has gained world wide recognition as one of the foremost suppliers of long distant surveillance systems and electro-optical tracking equipment for Test Range Instrumentation. Over the years DOS has been privileged to serve and furnish optical systems to many varied agencies such as the FBI, NASA, NSA, CIA, IRS, Eglin AFB, Patrick AFB, US Army Yuma Proving Grounds, Aberdeen Proving Grounds, Edwards AFB, Naval Weapons Center-China Lake Spawar Systems Center and many others too numerous to mention. Some of our Foreign customers include agencies in the United Kingdom, Spain, Germany, Israel, France, Hong Kong, Australia, Sweden, Taiwan, and Singapore.

Last edited:
Looks like I'm going to have to wait a bit to scratch my itch of buying a Kawi Z H2, they're thin on the ground. A dealer's website may say they have 'em, but they don't. Went to a dealer Friday who supposedly had 2. Apparently both sold within a week and they say their website inventory list is always a week behind. (?)
The first dealer I went to not only didn't have the Z, they didn't have a lot of anything left. They sell Suzuki, Kawasaki, KTM and Husqvarna and they had some street bikes left but were all but completely sold out of dual sports or dirt bikes of any make. Very empty showroom.
I don't know what all is causing it, but a lot of dealers are apparently in the same situation judging by what I've seen and read.

Back