germ79

The Guy That Asks All The Questions
Ride
2014 R3 Roadster
Hey guys! Haven’t had the chance to ride the new bike since my test ride, but have started a couple times to show folks. The first time I went to start it, it just turned over once and nothing. Threw it on the battery tender and it started fine. Went to start it back up a couple days later and same thing. Threw it on the tender and it fired up. Same thing happened again yesterday. It’s probably about 40°-45° each time. When it turn the key, headlights and gauge lights come on. Once I try once to start it the first time (and it turns over once) it won’t do anything after that. All lights are still on, but doesn’t even try to start.

Is this a plain old battery issue?

Hey guys! Haven’t had the chance to ride the new bike since my test ride, but have started a couple times to show folks. The first time I went to start it, it just turned over once and nothing. Threw it on the battery tender and it started fine. Went to start it back up a couple days later and same thing. Threw it on the tender and it fired up. Same thing happened again yesterday. It’s probably about 40°-45° each time. When it turn the key, headlights and gauge lights come on. Once I try once to start it the first time (and it turns over once) it won’t do anything after that. All lights are still on, but doesn’t even try to start.

Yes certainly sounds like it.
I keep all 4 of my rockets on a battery tender (one each) and usually get 4 years from a battery.
Colder months will be more taxing on an older battery and usually spells the end of them. Your battery might well be 3 years old (2014 R3R).

This is funny. Especially since you were considering buying the bike I got because the exact same thing is happening to me. I tried to fire mine up and ride to work this morning. Turned the key on, light came on. Got my helmet strap on, gloves on, leg over and hit the ignition. I got 4 whomps and then nothing. Kind of let the wind out of my sails as I took my gear off and got into my truck. Then I get teased at work for buying a bike that won't start. Got home and it started righted up. Battery just don't like the cooler weather. As mine is a 2013, 4 years old, which is approximately the life of an average battery. Should of got a 2012 so it would have already been replaced :)

Last edited:
The battery issue on R3's is a common one. If there is any doubt - really there is NO doubt - replace it.

tbh the battery is really only just big enough and some might deride Triumph for this.
Personally I give thanks for the fact they opted to fit a battery (which will eventually die anyway) that is easily obtainable at pretty much any M/C shop.

The battery tender solution - ime - does not always help. It can actually make things worse. At least it can cover up the fact a battery is dying.

The battery cables could do with being fatter so there is less resistive loss in them when you punch the button.

Back