wilbur-t

Top Fuel
Mounted the Yokohama this weekend. Done about 200 miles on her so far. Takes some getting used to. After about 100 miles the extra steering input needed on straight roads becomes second nature. The way it takes a turn is something you would have to feel to believe. When that rear tire is turned up on edge and you are cranking it through a turn, it feels like it's on a rail! I raised the front forks 10mm in the clamps, lowering the front end a little bit, and played with different tire pressures. I think I like 30 in the rear so far. [There is an extensive thread on this over at the .com site.] The biggest draw back is coming down my 1/8 mile, highly crowned, gravel driveway. It's kind of a bear on the gravel. Also going slow through town on really rough roads, with sunken lanes, etc. requires some effort. I will have to put more miles on it to make up my mind completely. The 245/50/16 Yoko. is a little taller than my worn out Metz. was. Rpms at 65 running about 200 less. The ground clearance seems a little better in a turn, no problem putting some metal on the ground. I'll post a pic of the bike soon.

Hard to put into words, Flip. When it's cranked over in a turn it feels really stable and planted. You pick your line through the turn and it takes you there. Really solid feeling. After the adjustments to the bike the countersteering effort seems hardly more than stock.

I'm headed back to the mountains on the 17th of this month for a three day weekend, so that should be a good test.

It will probably ride easier after I replace my worn front tire.

Hard to put into words, Flip. When it's cranked over in a turn it feels really stable and planted. You pick your line through the turn and it takes you there. Really solid feeling. After the adjustments to the bike the countersteering effort seems hardly more than stock.

I'm headed back to the mountains on the 17th of this month for a three day weekend, so that should be a good test.

It will probably ride easier after I replace my worn front tire.

Wilbur:

That's what Gunshots basically said about the Goodyear Eagle. He said (in my words), I had no problem cornering to the point of scraping the pegs....

This winter will be replacement time for my OEM Metz. No matter how few miles I have on it, wintertime will be replacement time so there is no interruption next riding season.

Please don't:(.

Jamie:

Why, on earth, would you make a statement like that?

Balancing act

The 30 PSI has me puzzled, curious in fact. Why would 30 PSI, a normally under inflation level on a cage application, work better than inflation to 38-42 PSI. Would that not produce a center crown?? Of course it may be an advantage to run low to eat the outter tread down then up it to 40?

Did the Yokohama require significant weight balancing??

Questions..

Wilbur:

Questions:

Did you cut your Metz off like Gunshots did or did you remove it via a tire machine?
How did you mount yours? Did you use a regular tire machine like Tomo did with Rusty's Metz or did you mount it manually with tire spoons and liquid soap? Did you balance it statically on spin it?

I see there are no marks on the rim so I'm curious?

The 30 PSI has me puzzled, curious in fact. Why would 30 PSI, a normally under inflation level on a cage application, work better than inflation to 38-42 PSI. Would that not produce a center crown?? Of course it may be an advantage to run low to eat the outter tread down then up it to 40?

Did the Yokohama require significant weight balancing??

Rocky:

Why would 30psi be underinflated? The tires on my Tracker only require 28 front and rear (that's what is on the door sticker) while my 350 Ford require 60. My wife's Ranger requires 30. Isn't inflation based on the vehicle weight and isn't a radial supposed to bulge the sidewall slightly when properly inflated?

The Yoko looks physically like it might be a better choice for a rear tire. It outwardly apperars to have a more rounded profile that the Eagle and has rain grooves on the outer radius of the tread face whereas the Eagle don't.

Last edited:
Back