Okay, just got back from an 800 mile trip to the mountains this past weekend. All I can say is that the more I ride that rear tire, the more I like it! Did everything I asked it to and rode like a Goldwing out on the interstate at 80 mph. I have completely gotten used to it now, I don't even feel the differance anymore.

WilberT - As the miles go on I love my DarkSide tire even more. I just wonder if you mounted a whitewall if it would still be a darkside:confused:

I too having been on my my 3rd,(find a flat) rear Metzler, cringed when not riding on the sides. I was seriously looking into another rear rim to mount a car tire on to do my everyday runing around and switching back for serious riding. Anyway I was babying the dang thing on straights and shagging butt in the corners to even out the wear however that experiment was interupted abruptly but will begin another one in a bit.;)

Going to the Dark Side

R3 Captains, I have read the Dark side posts for a while, and have come to the decision to go dark. I am going to start out with an inexpensive tire Riken raptor ZR 225/50ZR16. I will have it Installed at a local Yamaha Dealer on Friday. I will send pics and report back on how it does. I want to thank all of you for you input on this forum. It has been a great deal of help in making my decision. Guys be careful on the road and I will chat at u soon. Raptor URL - Link Removed

All these Darkside posts make me think of a helmet sticker I saw at an event at the beginning of summer (winter to you downunderers,) it read, "Come to the Darkside, we have cookies." There's something about that sticker that makes me chuckle everytime I think about it. Maybe it's my sub-conscious telling me to go to the darkside on my next rear tire replacement.

Last edited:
R3 Captains, I have read the Dark side posts for a while, and have come to the decision to go dark. I am going to start out with an inexpensive tire Riken raptor ZR 225/50ZR16. I will have it Installed at a local Yamaha Dealer on Friday. I will send pics and report back on how it does. I want to thank all of you for you input on this forum. It has been a great deal of help in making my decision. Guys be careful on the road and I will chat at u soon. Raptor URL - Link Removed

57 bucks....FIFTY SEVEN BUCKS plus shipping of course. I could buy 3 of them and they'd probably, between the three, outlast the bike and that's still cheaper than the stink'in, thin carcassed Metz. I can't even buy a retread for my truck for fifty seven bucks and it's a Michelin to boot.................Fantastic find. Looks, in the flesh, like the Goodyear Eagle.

I thought I was cheap.....

My darkside rear tire choice was the Michelin Pilot Sport AS. I went with the 225/55ZR16 size. I'm running 32 psi. The adjustment period was very short, maybe 100 miles. Now, I don't even think about it. I rode with a pretty fast group of sport-tourers last weekend and their comment was "you've made a believer out of us". Honestly, the limiting factor is NOT the tires on my Rocket but it's the footpegs. I was continually grinding on the peg feelers but the tires were totally secure. I will say though, that I could really feel that 800 lbs. as I threw it into the curves. On a big "power cruiser" like the Rocket, I will never run a motorcycle tire on the rear again. My handling with the Michelin Pilot is as good as I could want. The only difficulty I had was finding a dealer that would install the car tire on my rim. I finally found a chopper shop that would do it. Really, I couldn't be more pleased with it. The only people I hear warning against it are those who have never tried it. Conversely, I still am not aware of anyone, who HAS tried it, that didnt' like it. Enough said!

Back