At 35 the tire felt bouncy and required more countersteer. I tried it as low as 28, but just felt better [to me] at 30. It also scrubbed one time at 35 when I hit a big bump in a lefthand turn. At the lower pressure I haven't been able to make it scrub. I have my 440's set on 3.

I mounted this tire by hand, Flip. I did cut the old one to get it off. I must admit to putting a couple of marks on the rim squeezing the Yoko on, but what the hell, this is a go bike, not a show bike. :D

Wilbur:

I kind of thought that spoons and tire lube would be the way to go, especially with the R3's rim configuration. Did you have to use a Bead Cheeta to get the tire to seat or was the bead close enough to the rim that air alone seated it?

Most guys in a tire shop today have never seen a set of K&D tire spoons. All they know is that penumatic tire machine though I have to say that a Bead Cheeta beats any other method hands down.

Looks **** good. I feel the force:eek: But, I'd sure like to know how 40# feels;) Perhaps the 440s set at 3 and the PSI at 35, there is considerably more sidewall firmess. The center crowning at 40+ and a softer setting on the 440s might be just the ticket???

Last edited:
The tire seated on the rim very easily, just threw the air to it.

I might try playing with different shock settings and pressures. The 440's are bad to bottom out when 2 up on anything less than three.
Haven't tried going 2 up on the Yoko yet.

30 PSI underinflated

Perhaps 30 isn't underinflated, by much. 32-34, as I recall, is called for on the cagers I've had, excluding my Silverado which is 36. I''ve the understanding that overinflating a passenger car tire will produce a crown in the center and thus causing greater center contact. The soft appearance of radials, bulging sides, may and may not be indicative of underinflation for the application. But equating a tractor tire inflation with high speed in the twisties:roll:that's funny. Oh, I'm sorry that was a Tracker. On the otherhand, same difference. 60# in your F350, save yourself some bucks and carve yourself some Flinstone Tires. Fords have always been a tough ride.

With the car tire application on a Rocket this increased center crown patch could be the crowning achievement in going over to the dark side.

Many have faulted the underinflation of the ME880 with quicker wear; personally I'd welcome more outter surface use, versus the inner most 2 inches. Did I hear Triumph and Metzler were in bed on the ME880 Rocket application. Why wouldn't they (name withheld to protect the guilty) hope for 5k change intervals. And with two up riding there is said to be more experiences of bottoming out. I disagree that it's the tire underinflation that is the cause; but, I can be influenced. Is the spring in your step from too much weight in the saddle or being too light in the loafers. Or is it the bench pressing that has beefed up your springs.

I submit, crowning out (max inflation) the tire and slacking off on the bench presses (lighten up the springs) would produce admirable results. Admittedly, riding two up may require adjustments.

That Yokohama looks **** good.:bch: And the stats/ratings on this tire versus the most oft. preferred Eagle is much better. Plus, I believe the AVS100 is all-weather rated while the Eagle is only summer rated.

Now, if Bridgestone would come out with their DTC (dual tread compound) tire for the RocketIII I'd be most inclined. The DTC had a center section that IS substantially more wear resistant. I got an average of 5k more out them than the Metzlers I'd swapped over from, on other bikes. The Battlax BT002, one of several, is a Street Racing tire with the DTC.

Waiting...

Michelin has a Dual tread compound pilot road coming out. My buddy with the FZ1 only gets 3500 miles out of his rear tires, so he is going to give the new ones a try.

Darkside to lightside

Wilbur:

Your bud is doing worse that we are. 3500 miles? If that was a car tire, 3500 miles and the 'tits' would still be there.:D

I'm really into having 'fun' with my Rocket, but every time I have a notion of twisting the fun-o-grip downward more than just slightly, I think about the rear tire, the cost and the difficulty of a changeout and that tempers my wrist and right hand appreciably.

It's good to have alternatives. We now have you and Gunshots with darkside rubber. If enough Captains go to the darkside, the darkside won't be dark anymore. The stock tire will be the darkside.

It was my observation that increased psi. makes it harder (meaning more steering input) to roll it up on the shoulder of the goodyear. Lowering the air softens the sidewall for a more rounded feel. I ended up at 32 psi. Next tire I may try a wrinkle wall Mickey Thompson:D

It was my observation that increased psi. makes it harder (meaning more steering input) to roll it up on the shoulder of the goodyear. Lowering the air softens the sidewall for a more rounded feel. I ended up at 32 psi. Next tire I may try a wrinkle wall Mickey Thompson:D

Most of us, at our age, have wrinkles in the walls anyway.:eek:

Back