atomsplitter

Living Legend
Ride
17 T-120 Black, 20 Bobber Black, 98 Trophy 1200
I took my Yamaha RD 350 down to the Chop Shop to have them put it back together since I was not in the mood. I have other projects that are higher priority so I don't mind sending a little work to them, good people doing good work. They've had the bike since last April (2021) and fiddle with it when other jobs aren't pressing. Today I got a call from them and they said they got it to fire, but it wouldn't stay running without ether being shot into the carbs. Well that raised the ante some. After discussion I told them they could check the reed valves and verify they were working. The next phone call from them was an eye opener (or eye watering, depending on your ability to withstand having your financial nuts cracked). The right side reed valve was toast, and so too was its piston. Well that explained a lot. So after more discussion he said he wasn't worried about getting a piston, but he wasn't sure he could source gaskets. He also said he'd have to have a machinist bore the cylinders (more cash) and now we're getting into "ludicrous" cash expenditures. He 'guestimated about $800 to bore and hone one cylinder. So to Ebay and the trusty credit card we go. I found a brand new set of 2 pistons, 2 jugs, 4 wristpins and reed valves for $349.00 plus $45 shipped from India. Looks like the Chop Shop will be waiting until mid April to get these parts. assuming they aren't delayed at customs There is a sense of symmetry to having it sitting in their shop a whole year. I ordered a complete engine gasket set as well from Canada, but that should be here in 2 weeks (assuming they can move anything and customs isn't closed......). This may end up being the most expensive project I've ever encountered and it's on the smallest bike I've ever owned. Go figure.....

Pictures Please. That is one of the iconic bikes of the 70's.
I don't have any recent photos, here's what I took to the Chop Shop:
1645918174432.jpeg

1645918200635.jpeg

The dust is on a repainted tank, the side panel and oil tank were repainted as well and all original graphics reapplied. So technically it's correct paint and decals. The rest, not so much.
1645918242555.jpeg

I once had the older versions, without the reed valves, a 250 and a 350 twin. Both with expansion chambers, ports opened, piston skirts cut, etc. etc. VERY fast little machines. I'd look around ebay or other places for used parts. I don't think I'd ever go the way of boring, and all that it requires.;)

I once had the older versions, without the reed valves, a 250 and a 350 twin. Both with expansion chambers, ports opened, piston skirts cut, etc. etc. VERY fast little machines. I'd look around ebay or other places for used parts. I don't think I'd ever go the way of boring, and all that it requires.;)

The new setup should be mated already, kinda plug and play (I hope 🤞).

I don't have any recent photos, here's what I took to the Chop Shop:
1645918174432.jpeg

1645918200635.jpeg

The dust is on a repainted tank, the side panel and oil tank were repainted as well and all original graphics reapplied. So technically it's correct paint and decals. The rest, not so much.
1645918242555.jpeg
My first motorcycle in 1976! Brand new off the showroom floor RD350. This photo is after a few changes.
960A1E8F-61D9-4D05-BBA3-D564F787BCB1.jpeg

Someone has a non restored one locally on Craigslist for only $7500.🙄

Someone has a non restored one locally on Craigslist for only $7500.🙄
Is he offering to share what he's smoking? I see them routinely in the $4500 range, usually pristine restorations at that price or a little higher. Some a little higher but $7500 for a bucket of semi useable hardware is no bargain. If they had a race ready bike with Don Emde bodywork, I'd go for it:
1646202593609.png

1646202796670.png

Back