DARK SIDE WANA BE

I dunno yet. Been reading and reading. I have some moly grease, not sure of the content. Also have some Caterpillar "never sieze". might just mix the 2 and goop it on. Still finding different opinions on doing the axle first, 4 tube nuts last, visa versa. I'm planning on just finger tight the 4 tube nuts, then torque the axle, then the 4 nuts. Right? or wrong? Almost as much controversy as going darkside!!!!! Wish this was as dirt simple as my 2 hardley's. And when I get the Rocket back together, I have 2 new Michelin Pilots to mount on my Kawasaki ZRX1200r. "NO rest for the wicked";):banghead::(:)

me and rocket scientist had diff opinions
my opinion is slide it over the studs and put the shaft thru then torque the nuts then tighten torque the axle tube nuts according to manual.
in a real bad case scenario u could tighten the the wheel with it setting off to one side(tire rubbing frame)
then if u tighten the nuts it would bend the flange on the tubes or diff.

I'll be ****ed if it didn't just dawn on me, "Homer Simpson DUH" the left side of the axle goes through the diff housing, which is held onto the swing arm by the 4 studs and nuts. So if that side was left loose, the wheel could be tilted, and not center. Now I'm leaning towards tightening the 4 bolts first, then torque the axle. That way, it "should" be lined up correctly.
I have a brand new wheel coming from egay ($300) not too bad a deal. A new Bridgstone Execedra to go on that, and I have a Riken Raptor coming today to go on my original wheel, which I will put on the Rocket first. If I don't like it, I'll have the other ready to go no problem. Really frustrated at how hard it is to get a tire on these fat rims. Luckily I have a friend that owns a tire store, with a new machine.
My splines were nice and greasy but I smeared some more moly grease and never seize on it anyhow. Should be good for awhile.
And for the darkside nasayers, I live in SW florida, not too many hills and curves, mostly straight highway.

I'll be ****ed if it didn't just dawn on me, "Homer Simpson DUH" the left side of the axle goes through the diff housing, which is held onto the swing arm by the 4 studs and nuts. So if that side was left loose, the wheel could be tilted, and not center. Now I'm leaning towards tightening the 4 bolts first, then torque the axle. That way, it "should" be lined up correctly.
I have a brand new wheel coming from egay ($300) not too bad a deal. A new Bridgstone Execedra to go on that, and I have a Riken Raptor coming today to go on my original wheel, which I will put on the Rocket first. If I don't like it, I'll have the other ready to go no problem. Really frustrated at how hard it is to get a tire on these fat rims. Luckily I have a friend that owns a tire store, with a new machine.
My splines were nice and greasy but I smeared some more moly grease and never seize on it anyhow. Should be good for awhile.
And for the darkside nasayers, I live in SW florida, not too many hills and curves, mostly straight highway.

The big shop machine will get it done.
That's my set up. Local cruise the CT. Hill country road trip the MT.
BTW, I have an extra straight rear rim I was going to polish but will sell for $150 + shipping.

I dunno yet. Been reading and reading. I have some moly grease, not sure of the content. Also have some Caterpillar "never sieze". might just mix the 2 and goop it on. Still finding different opinions on doing the axle first, 4 tube nuts last, visa versa. I'm planning on just finger tight the 4 tube nuts, then torque the axle, then the 4 nuts. Right? or wrong? Almost as much controversy as going darkside!!!!! Wish this was as dirt simple as my 2 hardley's. And when I get the Rocket back together, I have 2 new Michelin Pilots to mount on my Kawasaki ZRX1200r. "NO rest for the wicked";):banghead::(:)
Tube nuts last

Well, I won! Got my Riken Raptor 235/60R-16 on the rim, and on the bike. I tightened the tube nuts first because that makes the most sense to me. If Rocket don't like it, tough chit! Bloody, scratched, sore as hell, but like a good bar fight, I WON, and that's all that counts! Will test ride tomorrow. What a beeach! Blood from trying to retrieve a rim protector that fell inside the tire as I had it almost on. Was a grand battle for sure. Some of the meds I'm on cause tissue paper thin skin! How do you like my adapter! Ha! I think I'll file for a patent.:)

Back