DARK SIDE WANA BE

Tire shop friend is laughing at me, said he coulda done it with no blood shed. I told him I hate to have something that I can't do myself, so the story ends. Went for a ride today. Took a little while to get used to, and it was windy as heck, but I like it! Left an obligatory black mark in front of my house! :)

Has anyone tried the Proxes R1R?
to_proxesr1r_200tw_pdpcrop.jpg

BTW... look at what I found her is our archives
27962_2b529f6a038a240e22bf363c9640b027.jpg 27964_9222d1913bc39523c41d604f934a522e.jpg 27999_d1b1615714e9fd104b9ba408ee6e3d7d.jpg

I'm kinda likin my darkside. It still has it's quirks and weirdness at times, but I'm much less worried about flats. Adjusting the air pressure both front and rear, have a large effect on the handling. And it's been keeping me from being so cwazy, like passing a convoy of 4 or 5 cars, semi's at a time, running up to 110/120 by the time I get to the front of the pack. But I have been getting braver and braver.o_O

Has anyone tried the Proxes R1R?
to_proxesr1r_200tw_pdpcrop.jpg

BTW... look at what I found her is our archives
27962_2b529f6a038a240e22bf363c9640b027.jpg 27964_9222d1913bc39523c41d604f934a522e.jpg 27999_d1b1615714e9fd104b9ba408ee6e3d7d.jpg

Yes, Rick, I happen to have one in my garage from my 7K mile experiment with it Darksiding on my R3. It's a fantastic tire for certain Acura and Honda model automobiles, but definitely a no go for our motorcycles. First time I rode it hard in the twisties it visibly rode on and wore the sidewall about 1.5 inches up from the tread! The pressure you might use doesn't matter, it will get up on the sidewall and there's zero protection engineered into that tire's sidewall to keep one's azz intact.

At the time I tried it, about 7-8 years ago, it was the #1 car tire to use according to the "cognoscenti on both of our very active owners sites. Some of the early adapters in England were putting up to about 15-18K miles on the tire and completely wearing the writing on their sidewalls away - which is totally batshiite cray-cray!!!:eek:

Subsequent car tire options, among them, the predominant ones still being used by diehard darkside fans to present, have allegedly proven to have designs that with the "proper" air pressure, will not ride on their sidewalls. That still doesn't address the incompatability of the car tire and motorcycle rim designs - they are not engineered to work together optimally. Period - full stop.

As for me, given what I know for facts regarding tire type selection for motorcycles in general, there isn't enough tea in China for me to ever consider using a car tire on a motorcycle rim ever again. Just because loads of people have done so and continue to do so does not make it a safe or intelligent practice (it adds a significant risk factor to an already risky enterprise) and nothing will convince me otherwise because facts are facts.

I do respect the right of others to choose to do otherwise, although I am firmly in the camp that it is an inherently poor choice.:banghead:

Last edited:
Why would DS inhibit you from riding on the edge like that? ;-)
Smooth highway surface is best for multicar pass, and DS is even more perfecter for same.

By the way, I ran a Proxes T1-R many years ago, and the sidewall wore off to nothing pretty quick.
Not saying this latest design will too, just sayin.
A square shoulder is not optimal for DS use, and that looks kinda square.

Why would DS inhibit you from riding on the edge like that? ;-)
Smooth highway surface is best for multicar pass, and DS is even more perfecter for same.

By the way, I ran a Proxes T1-R many years ago, and the sidewall wore off to nothing pretty quick.
Not saying this latest design will too, just sayin.
A square shoulder is not optimal for DS use, and that looks kinda square.

True, flat tires are OK (still not safe, btw) for flat, boring roadways and surfaces, but that ain't how I roll, homey!;):p

Back