Damaged crankcase with pictures -- FIXED

PaddyO

Supercharged
Ride
2014 R3T
While transporting my R3T in a moving truck, the kickstand was left down without my knowledge when it was strapped in. At the first stop, I checked to make sure the straps were still tight and discovered the kickstand was down. I reset the straps with the stand up. However, when it came out of the truck, it appeared the kickstand bracket had broken and the bike was leaning way over. Tonight I was going to replace the bracket and discovered it was not the bracket that was broken, but where the bolts attach to the crankcase that had broken. Pictures below.

IMG_2648.jpg
IMG_2649.jpg
IMG_2650.jpg
IMG_2651.jpg
IMG_2653.jpg
IMG_2654.jpg

The last two pictures show each piece held in place by the bolt.

I am wondering if I used JB Weld epoxy to attach the pieces to the crankcase if it would work? I am thinking of wrapping the bolts with teflon tape so the epoxy won't attach to the bolts and after the epoxy sets, I would then be able to back out the bolts. I might have to use some washers between the heads of the bolts and the crankcase pieces to press the pieces against the crankcase. After the epoxy sets, I could apply some more epoxy around the outside of the pieces to further attach them to the crankcase.

What do you more knowledgable members think? Any other suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
JB welds pretty good stuff, I don't see why it wouldn't work. If it were me I'd probably get it to set without the bolts and just run a tap through after it hardens. The teflon may work though. Doesn't hurt to try.

OK - I would look for an Ali-welder. I seriously doubt epoxy is going to hold that WELL.

Then retap and maybe even fit inserts.

And when it comes to refiting - DO NOT USE BOLTS. Find a stud and run it all the way down the thread. Use nuts to than pull the bracket against the engine.

I had similar issue with my RHS running board fixings after accident. You will find you can tap in a longer thread and use a longer bolt. Still do the epoxy for cosmetic purposes.

Back