Cooling fan not working

I found the relay to be the problem when my fan stopped working. I ordered one from Hermy's (T2506040) and they sent me a relay, but not that one. First time they have screwed up an order for me. I went to the parts store and bought a universal 30 amp relay and all is good now. Glad I saw this thread.
I picked up a relay from Autozone when mine quit on my 05, this was about 8 years ago, sold the bike and the relay still alive and kicking, people advised me against it and insisted that i get the oem one, i noticed no difference other than price:D

When my coolant temp sensor went down it didn't throw a code ! If you tried everything else then test the resistance on the sensor .
I know this is an old thread...
Anyone know where the sensor is if there is one? My High coolant temperature warning light does not come on while the coolant is boiling and overflowing through the overflow tube.
Fan works and I'm quite sure the relay works. Fans come on when I hook it to the battery. In TuneECU testing the cooling fan the dot flashes yellow three times, but the fans does not start. I can hear the relay click when that yellow dot flashes..
Help!

The temperature sensor is close to the thermostat near the front left side of the engine.
The tuneecu doesn't care what temp the engine is so i don't think that is your problem.
I think that the tuneecu reads the temp sensor and shows up as a voltage reading if it has an open then their will not be a voltage and will set a trouble code.

@Starmanut you are so close to solving this fan problem. If you just continue some checking.
Next step is to put power into the #87 if the fan comes on you know that the wiring is ok out to the fan. If the relay clicks then the apply circuit is ok.
I would suggest a new fuse replacement
Give me the answers to my questions and i will lead you to the correct conclusion.
Hth

The temperature sensor is close to the thermostat near the front left side of the engine.
The tuneecu doesn't care what temp the engine is so i don't think that is your problem.
I think that the tuneecu reads the temp sensor and shows up as a voltage reading if it has an open then their will not be a voltage and will set a trouble code.

@Starmanut you are so close to solving this fan problem. If you just continue some checking.
Next step is to put power into the #87 if the fan comes on you know that the wiring is ok out to the fan. If the relay clicks then the apply circuit is ok.
I would suggest a new fuse replacement
Give me the answers to my questions and i will lead you to the correct conclusion.
Hth
Thanks for your help!! I just spent the last hour or so searching old threads. You gave a bunch of ideas in those!
I have a set of fuses from Amazon arriving tomorrow since I blew a few using spare cables from my trickle charger.
Do I just run a wire from the positive battery terminal straight into #87? I tried shorting #30 to # 87 and didn't get the fan running even with the ignition on (that threw an ECU error). Might have had a bad connection, though. :)

I guess i would put a fuse in the jumper wire i would use.
I am thinking that the trouble is from the fuse to the relay.
If you have a 12volt test light
With ignition on hook clamp to negotiate terminal and put the probe on the fan fuse it should light on both sides if it does that then put probe on #30 it should light up.
Or you can take a run down to Tucson
I should be able to diagnose and fix in about twenty five minutes.

I think I'm good to the relay. I swapped the fuel pump relay and the fan relay and the fuel pump did it's little thing when I turned the key on. And I hear it click during the TuneECU test. Going to run a wire from the battery to pin #87 tomorrow and see if the fan runs. Not going to bother today. Need a rest! Will replace the fuse, too.

I think I'm good to the relay. I swapped the fuel pump relay and the fan relay and the fuel pump did it's little thing when I turned the key on. And I hear it click during the TuneECU test. Going to run a wire from the battery to pin #87 tomorrow and see if the fan runs. Not going to bother today. Need a rest! Will replace the fuse, too.
Why don't you just pull the fan relay, make a jumper wire with a spade connector on it and plug it into the empty relay slot (pin 8) that has a blue/white wire connected to it. That wire goes directly to the fan. Put the other end of your jumper wire on your battery. The fan should run. If not, check that wire to the fan. That brown/pink relay wire (pin 1) slot should have 12 volts at its location as well as it goes directly to fuse 7. The other brown/pink wire on pin 4 along with pin 6 energizes the relay to run the fan.
BTW I see why you are calling out pin #87 as those are standard relay pin markings where Triumph calls them out on their diagram as pins 1,6,4, and 8.

Last edited:
Why don't you just pull the fan relay, make a jumper wire with a spade connector on it and plug it into the empty relay slot (pin 8) that has a blue/white wire connected to it. That wire goes directly to the fan. Put the other end of your jumper wire on your battery. The fan should run. If not, check that wire to the fan. That brown/pink relay wire (pin 1) slot should have 12 volts at its location as well as it goes directly to fuse 7. The other brown/pink wire on pin 4 along with pin 6 energizes the relay to run the fan. BTW I see why you are calling out pin #87 as those are standard relay pin markings where triumph calls them out on their diagram as pins 1,6,4, and 8.

Why don't you just pull the fan relay, make a jumper wire with a spade connector on it and plug it into the empty relay slot (pin 8) that has a blue/white wire connected to it. That wire goes directly to the fan. Put the other end of your jumper wire on your battery. The fan should run. If not, check that wire to the fan. That brown/pink relay wire (pin 1) slot should have 12 volts at its location as well as it goes directly to fuse 7. The other brown/pink wire on pin 4 along with pin 6 energizes the relay to run the fan.
BTW I see why you are calling out pin #87 as those are standard relay pin markings where Triumph calls them out on their diagram as pins 1,6,4, and 8.
Well Hi there. Haven't seen you around much. Glad to hear from you.
I will do that. I was going for the sensor, but in retrospect TuneECU showed the temp rising from 40C up to 121C. So I guess the sensor is fine.
Don't know if a bad diode in the relay would be a thing, but both the fuel pump and fan relays both acted the same when I swapped them.
Getting close...Just about tried everything else that's not too much over my head.
Thanks!!!

Back