Cooling fan not working

Big H

Standard Bore
Ride
2009 Rocket 3 Classic
My cooling fan has stopped cutting in. I ran it wired direct to get me home without overheating and am now trying to solve the issue. I believe there is a cooling fan relay. Could someone please tell me where this is located. Thermostat is opening as the radiator is getting stonking hot. I ran Tune ECU and temp got up to 95 degs C plus and no fan cut in. So next thought is the elusive Relay or the sensor that tells the fan to start. (where is that located) Please help my blood pressure cant take much more

It's behind the left side panel with the others. It's not a standard relay. The previous owner of my bike had already wired around it, so I replaced mine with a standard relay and holder. I think it's a fairly common failure. The fan is controlled by the ecu, so if you can read the temp in tune ecu, I'd bet it's the relay.

If you search the forum, you should be able to find the manual, which has a wiring diagram which identifies the relays.

Thanks for that I can read the temp on Tune ECU. The other two relays next to it are identical. What are they for. If not vital to running of bike could I could switch one over to check if my Cooling fan relay is faulty

Looked at the wiring diagram and one of the others is the fuel pump relay. I put my suspect faulty relay in there as It is identical and bike will turn over but not start. Hoping this proves my cooling fan relay is u/s. Thanks again for the advice will post when fixed

There is a actually a 'test' feature in TuneECU to test the fan, without having to wait for it to heat up.

Also note that 95C is NOT hot enough for the fan to come on under normal control - fan does not come on till 103C

I ran the Fan test on Tune ECU the fan did not start but I got no error code ? Also I know in the past 5 mins running of the bike in my garage and the fan cuts in. It isn't cutting in at all now. The temperature light comes on after about 8 mins of running in the garage when I run the fan direct wired to a power supply the temp warning light goes out. I assume to Tune Ecu test would employ the cooling fan relay ?

When my coolant temp sensor went down it didn't throw a code ! If you tried everything else then test the resistance on the sensor .

Buy a relay"..part number. T2506040. $12.61... Normally open with a diode to prevent transients. Most relays of that type are not rocket science if you know what you are looking for and could also be purchased and used in a pinch from a good auto parts store. All three of those relays are the same. The starter really is different. I can't speak for the flasher relay as I have the touring.

I carry an original part spare from Triumph plus an extra starter relay just for peace of mind. Why risk being stranded for a $13.00 part. But then again...that's just the way I am.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    214.7 KB · Views: 157
My cooling fan has stopped cutting in. I ran it wired direct to get me home without overheating and am now trying to solve the issue. I believe there is a cooling fan relay. Could someone please tell me where this is located. Thermostat is opening as the radiator is getting stonking hot. I ran Tune ECU and temp got up to 95 degs C plus and no fan cut in. So next thought is the elusive Relay or the sensor that tells the fan to start. (where is that located) Please help my blood pressure cant take much more
@Big H: I had similar issue. Solved after cleaned the relays, cleaned the cooling cycle and emptied the cooling system from air.

The symptoms were:
Cooling temp sensor OK (TuneECU)
Fan test OK (TuneECU)
Fan not kicking in when it should (monitoring on TuneECU)

Last edited:
I found the relay to be the problem when my fan stopped working. I ordered one from Hermy's (T2506040) and they sent me a relay, but not that one. First time they have screwed up an order for me. I went to the parts store and bought a universal 30 amp relay and all is good now. Glad I saw this thread.

Back