Considering purchasing a rocket 3

ratsidecar

.060 Over
Ride
2006 Rocket III
Hi there, I am interested in purchasing a rocket and have been looking at one local to me. It is a 2006 model, black engine and not a mark on it. It has the TORS I think fitted and has had the decat done. The owner mentioned that occasionally it will idle low and cutout at traffic lights, he does not know if it has been remapped to suit the exhaust mods done to it.

Is this something I should be worried about and what is it likely to be, just a case of needing remapped? Or something more serious. I am happy to do spannering myself however have never owned a triumph before.

Thanks

Howdy & Welcome!
It could be just a simple ISCV & TPS reset, throttle body sync, leaky vacuum lines or one unplugged. it may need a new primary TPS.
A $15 OBD cable & a free windows App called TuneEcu ($12 if Android) can read & show what needs adjusting - all things you should be able to do yourself if you're a "spanner'er" ;)

Add your location to your avatar please. Someone close to you might be able to help you

Thanks for the replies, TuneECU has already been downloaded for me to have a look at and a play with. Location will be added once I figure out how! Looks like im gonna for it :)

Hello Ratsidecar and welcome from Virginia. Sounds like a TPS adjustment is in order, start there for sure.

Hi there, I am interested in purchasing a rocket and have been looking at one local to me. It is a 2006 model, black engine and not a mark on it. It has the TORS I think fitted and has had the decat done. The owner mentioned that occasionally it will idle low and cutout at traffic lights, he does not know if it has been remapped to suit the exhaust mods done to it.

Is this something I should be worried about and what is it likely to be, just a case of needing remapped? Or something more serious. I am happy to do spannering myself however have never owned a triumph before.

Thanks
I hit like for wrenching your own.

Well thats the deposit sorted, pick it up in a week or 2 hopefully.
233.JPG
333.JPG
1212.JPG

Picked the rocket up and gave it its first test run today. Was a bit apprehensive of the weight but quickly got used to it. Im impressed, love the way it pulls from low rpm, very different to the bikes I had before. Was looking round the bike and discovered it has a pair of progressive 440s shocks on the rear and the triangular shaped stainless steel decat pipe to go with the tors silencers. Also some nice adjustable levers and an underseat k&n air filter.

On to the bad things, first one is the gear linkage fell apart as I pulled back into my house after a ride, the threads on the alloy piece that sits on splined shaft where the ball link screws in look pretty poor and the ball link had vibrated loose. I should be able to drill and helicoil the piece and use threadlock where the ball link screws in and that will make a nice strong repair. After a good hard motorway thrash I was able to experience the cut out issue. It only happened once in 100 miles, I stopped for a traffic light and the idle dropped to around 500 rpm then the engine coughed and cut out as I gave the throttle a blip to try and recover it. It started up again straight after and there was just one other occasion when the idle seemed to hunt a little at about 500rpm when I stopped at lights before it picked back up to 850rpm or therabouts.

I have the obd cable ordered, tune ecu is downloaded and I will lift the tank and check the vacuum lines and any blanking off caps for damage in the meantime till the cable arrives. I guess I could also pop the crank position sensor out and give it a clean to rule that out as a potential cause.

Back