Competition Werkes and Penner map

I have a 2020 R , I just bought it has 1000 miles on it and the previous owner put the Werkes exhaust on it and it pops, bangs and sounds kind of ****ty . I was wondering if anyone has that or does it need to be tuned .

I have a 2020 R , I just bought it has 1000 miles on it and the previous owner put the Werkes exhaust on it and it pops, bangs and sounds kind of ****ty . I was wondering if anyone has that or does it need to be tuned .
Hi . I have Werkes on my GT since new. No tuning required. The popping should only be when decelerating as the secondary air opens to burn any fuel in the pipes. The standard pipes do the same just not as loud. You can minimize it around town by not closing the throttle completely (not always easy) and/or using lower revs and higher gears (easy on the rocket). I have no baffels in mine and its loud especially when under hard acceleration but is a beautiful purr when at cruising speed.

You might be able to tune decel popping out with TuneECU but you can easily do it with a Power Commander.

Yes you have the correct map. 31012 is the "all markets unrestricted map"
You are only supposed to pull the headlight fuse. Nowhere on tuneecu for the new rockets does it say to pull fuel pump fuse or ignition fuse. The fuel pump will "ready" itself as you'll hear but it wont keep running as there is no need for fuel.
The ancillaries need to "prime" the bike in preparation for starting, which now makes the ECU accessible.
When you prime the bike, you'll hear the fuel pump and lots of quiet clicking and buzzing but that needs to happen, hence the reason to pull headlight fuse. Its during this period you now flash the bike. 20 minutes later and you'll be done.
Hi Thanks for the info. Done the flash with no problems. All feels good but hard to tell from a seat of the pants test, certainly flys well though!!

Hi Thanks for the info. Done the flash with no problems. All feels good but hard to tell from a seat of the pants test, certainly flys well though!!
Thats interesting saying you cant tell by the seat of your pants. You're not the first to hint at a reflash hasnt made much difference. I would of thought an extra 20 hp and 38% more available throttle would really wake her up! I havent done my 3R yet and I may not bother if its no real difference.
Just out of curiosity, did you use a battery charger or a car battery?

Last edited:
This is Penner’s dyno chart for the TFC, blue is unrestricted, red is stock. This is at WOT. The difference starts at 5000 rpm but is greatest above 6000 rpm. You have to be wailing to experience this.

97EAD565-7690-4969-B74E-91ABC5345541.jpeg

TFC has more power at stock than an R and GT.
According to UP, the R and GT it's around a 20 to 25 hp gain up top due to the 38% ETV change.
That SHOULD be extremely noticeable

Hi . I have Werkes on my GT since new. No tuning required. The popping should only be when decelerating as the secondary air opens to burn any fuel in the pipes. The standard pipes do the same just not as loud. You can minimize it around town by not closing the throttle completely (not always easy) and/or using lower revs and higher gears (easy on the rocket). I have no baffels in mine and its loud especially when under hard acceleration but is a beautiful purr when at cruising speed.
Thanks for reply , I might try a power commander .

Thats interesting saying you cant tell by the seat of your pants. You're not the first to hint at a reflash hasnt made much difference. I would of thought an extra 20 hp and 38% more available throttle would really wake her up! I havent done my 3R yet and I may not bother if its no real difference.
Just out of curiosity, did you use a battery charger or a car battery?
Hi I used a small battery tender on the bike and had my phone attached to its charger too.....just to be sure. My bike has LED running lights that stay on the whole time along with the rear light but there was no problem during the 23 minutes as the reflash happened. I am not disappointed at the results. The bike sounds throater (is that a real word??) at idle but its just hard to tell on the road. Everything seems a bit stronger, acceleration and particularly more so at higher revs. I know that sounds a little counterintuitive but for the few $$$ cost of the app and 23 mins time its certainly worth it.

Hi I used a small battery tender on the bike and had my phone attached to its charger too.....just to be sure. My bike has LED running lights that stay on the whole time along with the rear light but there was no problem during the 23 minutes as the reflash happened. I am not disappointed at the results. The bike sounds throater (is that a real word??) at idle but its just hard to tell on the road. Everything seems a bit stronger, acceleration and particularly more so at higher revs. I know that sounds a little counterintuitive but for the few $$$ cost of the app and 23 mins time its certainly worth it.
Thanks mate. Yeah I've seen the map. Most of the big changes are after 50% throttle and 5000 rpm so normal riding won't really be or feel much different. Yep agreed for the money spent, it's worth it.
Cheers 💯👍

Back