Cold Starts in Cold Weather

Just found that positive terminal is on left side of batter with stock specs. Hl is on right. Need bat that fits. ??

20200212_125800.jpg

When a lead Acid battery is cold and you have no way to warm it up, you will get the most power out of it on initial start up. It goes downhill from there. Heating the battery up with an external source such as a battery blanket will free up a lot more power before the voltage drops to unacceptable levels.

With a cold Lithium battery initial start up does not yield the most power delivered. The more you crank or draw current, the better the power delivery will be.... to a point. So if the vehicles sounds like the battery might be low, try cranking again and things should improve.

Just found that positive terminal is on left side of batter with stock specs. Hl is on right. Need bat that fits. ??
Polarity location is determined by the letters H or HL.

Yuasa has 2 heavy duty batteries for the Rocket Roadster which uses the HL version. If you need the reversed terminals, get a Yuasa battery GYZ20H, good for 320 CCA and reversed terminals or the YTX20H, good for 310 CCA with reversed terminals. The original only puts out 270CCA. (PS, I'm not sure if these will fit the new Rocket 3)

https://www.yuasabatteries.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/2020_Application_Guide_File.pdf Look at page 10 of this chart to find which battery will fit. Measure your battery box length, width and depth to see what you can fit in there. Lots of bigger batteries available.

Good info, thanks. Question. Stock bat specs have "ch" in the above rather than "hl". Is that higher amps? If so, why not get bat. With 330 cc's?
Just looked up stock cca. 270cca! A car motor?! Cheap b$$tards.
Also, are you sure the above fits the 2020 rocket? Put specs in amazon, showed a yuasa, but box said does not fit your 2020 rocket.
I do not know if it fits your 2020. But the website should identify the correct AGM with higher CCA.

Polarity location is determined by the letters H or HL.

Yuasa has 2 heavy duty batteries for the Rocket Roadster which uses the HL version. If you need the reversed terminals, get a Yuasa battery GYZ20H, good for 320 CCA and reversed terminals or the YTX20H, good for 310 CCA with reversed terminals. The original only puts out 270CCA. (PS, I'm not sure if these will fit the new Rocket 3)

https://www.yuasabatteries.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/2020_Application_Guide_File.pdf Look at page 10 of this chart to find which battery will fit. Measure your battery box length, width and depth to see what you can fit in there. Lots of bigger batteries available.
Good info! My problem appears that the length cannot be longer than 6 inches. Maybe could get a piece of paper in there!! So the above bats won't fit. Height I could increase if needed. **** it is tight in there. Longer bat cables and the regular polarity the only way you think?

Wondering if it is normal when bike outside, not garaged, temps going down to 30's or low 40's, when I hit starter just turns over( for about 3 seconds, )but no start. When I stop hitting starter button, then hit again, starts right up. Did this on both cold mornings.
Is this ok or is something not right? Bike is almost 6 months old. Thanks!
Next time you start it in cold weather, open the throttle about 1/4 turn during start up.. That will bypass the computers rich start system and allow
more raw fuel on startup.. Normally the closed throttle setting is enough on a fairly warm day (50 degrees or so) but a partially open throttle will give u
almost twice the fuel on start up. My T-120 with fuel injection does the same thing, especially if it sits a week or so.

I have to jump mine in the cold (20s - 30s)- the bike is kept now in a portable tent shed. I have one of those little jump packs that does the trick. With winter weather here I've decided to mount this $10.99 Amazon Amazon.com: LINGYU 10AWG Battery Charging Cable,SAE to O Ring Terminal Connectors Harness, 2-Pin Quick Disconnect SAE Plug Cable so I can hook up the pack without removing the seat. The similar looking (lighter weight) harness I have for the battery tender, which I highly recommend, has a 7.5 fuse that blows if you use it to jump the battery.
Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 10.32.15 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 10.28.57 AM.png

Last edited:
Back