Cold Starts in Cold Weather

maurice

Nitrous
Ride
2020 R3 GT
Wondering if it is normal when bike outside, not garaged, temps going down to 30's or low 40's, when I hit starter just turns over( for about 3 seconds, )but no start. When I stop hitting starter button, then hit again, starts right up. Did this on both cold mornings.
Is this ok or is something not right? Bike is almost 6 months old. Thanks!

Last edited:
The older model could be a bit cold blooded. Try cranking for a longer period before you stop and try again. No experience with the newer model in cold temps.

The older model could be a bit cold blooded. Try cranking for a longer period before you stop and try again. No experience with the newer model in cold temps.
Ok, but seems long. One thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three.
Most people have a garage.😖😡

Old Rocket problems bacame the new Rocket problems...I apologize that this problem has the same reasons: high oil viscositi, weak starter motor and voltage fall between battery and starter.

Wondering if it is normal when bike outside, not garaged, temps going down to 30's or low 40's, when I hit starter just turns over( for about 3 seconds, )but no start. When I stop hitting starter button, then hit again, starts right up. Did this on both cold mornings.
I was told that, when a battery is cold, it does not deliver its full power. I would say during cold period:
1 - Switch on in order to hear the gas pump and wait for a few seconds,
2 - Try to start the engine

Years ago It worked good when headlights were not LED.

Hello @maurice, @Stillserving is right about my bike living in the wilds of Virginia. I have fought this issue for many winters now as I ride year round as long as the roads are not icy and the bike starts. @Dzhaks linked a great thread to help solve the problem with the weak starter. The other things to do is upgrade your battery cable to a larger diameter. Ensure that they are always tight! As for batteries, Lithium are the worst with cold weather and most even state on the box that their operating temperature only goes down to 40*F. Lithium cranking amps (LCA) are not Cold cranking amps (CCA). I use an AGM battery now and the current battery is going into it third winter now. I tried four others before I found one that can live up to the 2.3L engine's requirements for cold starts below freezing. This one: YTX20HL-BS AGM Maintenance Free Battery

Good luck and do let the group know how you come out, especially since this is a 2020 bike.

Hello @maurice, @Stillserving is right about my bike living in the wilds of Virginia. I have fought this issue for many winters now as I ride year round as long as the roads are not icy and the bike starts. @Dzhaks linked a great thread to help solve the problem with the weak starter. The other things to do is upgrade your battery cable to a larger diameter. Ensure that they are always tight! As for batteries, Lithium are the worst with cold weather and most even state on the box that their operating temperature only goes down to 40*F. Lithium cranking amps (LCA) are not Cold cranking amps (CCA). I use an AGM battery now and the current battery is going into it third winter now. I tried four others before I found one that can live up to the 2.3L engine's requirements for cold starts below freezing. This one: YTX20HL-BS AGM Maintenance Free Battery

Good luck and do let the group know how you come out, especially since this is a 2020 bike.
Good info, thanks. Question. Stock bat specs have "ch" in the above rather than "hl". Is that higher amps? If so, why not get bat. With 330 cc's?
Just looked up stock cca. 270cca! A car motor?! Cheap b$$tards.
Also, are you sure the above fits the 2020 rocket? Put specs in amazon, showed a yuasa, but box said does not fit your 2020 rocket.

Last edited:
I was told that, when a battery is cold, it does not deliver its full power. I would say during cold period:
1 - Switch on in order to hear the gas pump and wait for a few seconds,
2 - Try to start the engine

Years ago It worked good when headlights were not LED.
Will try that. Thanks

Same problem here on my TFC.

Back