captain jack

Turbocharged
Can anyone tell me how the clutch switch is removed from the lever assembly? I am now convinced that although the switch is good, the mounting of it is loose & this is causing my starting problem.

Can anyone tell me how the clutch switch is removed from the lever assembly? I am now convinced that although the switch is good, the mounting of it is loose & this is causing my starting problem.

I went and played with mine and it fells fairly tight.
there is a little square hole on the bottom and i just took a small Phillips screw driver an applied small force to trigger the plastic catch and it came right out.
i do not know about the wiring connector.
if u have tunecu u could check all of the sensors and switches that work the starting.

also i just took a little screw driver and pried back the rubber shield far enough that u could take a wire and do a jumper across the terminals for checking purposes.
also i think that to change the clutch switch it might unplug right there at the switch.

When i was getting ready to go home i went to move the bike around and it wouldn't start. tried to jiggle the clutch switch still wouldn't start. so i got a piece of electrical wire and wound it around the clutch lever to keep it pulled and then (with the bike in neutral)started to play with the clutch switch while holding in the starter button and it started. the only that i can assume that the little plunger had stuck.
so pulling the switch and maybe a shot of wd 40 might work wonders. hth herman

When i was getting ready to go home i went to move the bike around and it wouldn't start. tried to jiggle the clutch switch still wouldn't start. so i got a piece of electrical wire and wound it around the clutch lever to keep it pulled and then (with the bike in neutral)started to play with the clutch switch while holding in the starter button and it started. the only that i can assume that the little plunger had stuck.
so pulling the switch and maybe a shot of wd 40 might work wonders. hth herman
Thanks for that, I'll go check it out & let you know how I get on.

Well I got the switch out, so that's further than I've got before. It all seems ok & I now think that the looseness of the switch is not the problem, I have simulated the action on the plunger using a screwdriver through the hole & it is proving that the lever will be operating the plunger ok & the connections as far as I can see are clean & in good condition. I've notched the ASV lever up a bit to give a little more movement just in case it wasn't quite allowing the plunger to release. If fault still exists I'll have to think again, but at least now I know the switch is good.

what is the bike doing that u r concerned with?
Press the start button & nothing happens, not a click, the starter relay doesn't operate because the lights stay on. Usually it starts on 2nd go sometimes it may take several attempts but so far it has always managed to start eventually. I'm thinking now that the ignition switch may be iffy, but the sweeps are ok & lights always come on & all seems well until I press the button. I fitted the EB lighting kit some yr's ago so hopefully the ignition switch is ok.

some one has taken the starter button apart and cleaned it i remember seeing the pics i think that that might be your next step. however i would check to see what that clutch switch sells for and if it is easy to install i would change it.

some one has taken the starter button apart and cleaned it i remember seeing the pics i think that that might be your next step. however i would check to see what that clutch switch sells for and if it is easy to install i would change it.
Apparently it's bloody difficult to replace, I don't know but the performance engineering shop I use tells me this having done them in the past.

Back