Can the switch be by- passed?

YES. BUT IT IS A SAFETY SWITCH So if u bypassed it then if the ign is on and some one hits the button in gear away goes your bike. no i guess it wouldn't go till the kickstand was up.
i would only do that as a test or until i could find a replacement.

I bypassed the clutch switch a few years ago. I don't need it, I always start the bike with the clutch engaged by habit anyway. Have not had a problem and best of all no pushing the button and getting nuttin.

The bikes been starting just fine now, but came to start my homeward journey tonight & it wouldn't start. This time the starter relay did work & I could hear the starter solenoid engaging but no start, I lifted the side (kick) stand & it fired up ok. This could be just coincidence but I can't understand why the side stand switch would prevent starting unless the ECU was sensing the bike to be in gear instead of neutral. Apart from that if the starter solenoid was getting energised then it can't be anything holding off starting. I'm thinking now that it may be just a one off where it just didn't mesh correctly with the flywheel teeth. Sorry about this its just me thinking while typing.

kick stand has nothing to do with your prob
sounds like your solenoid on your starter is prob.
what happens is u can hear the solenoid click but on the inside it does not make the connection to put power to the starter.
the other scenario is that the solenoid does send power to the starter and if the bendix is bad u will just hear the starter spinning and the motor will not turn over.
i would rebuilt the starter with the 1.4k starter and it will come with the starter solenoid.
i think this has the number of the starter. be careful there is a wrong number in there.
Inexpensive Starter Replacement | R3Owners

kick stand has nothing to do with your prob
sounds like your solenoid on your starter is prob.
what happens is u can hear the solenoid click but on the inside it does not make the connection to put power to the starter.
the other scenario is that the solenoid does send power to the starter and if the bendix is bad u will just hear the starter spinning and the motor will not turn over.
i would rebuilt the starter with the 1.4k starter and it will come with the starter solenoid.
i think this has the number of the starter. be careful there is a wrong number in there.
Inexpensive Starter Replacement | R3Owners
I've seen that thread in the past, I contemplated it but it's been so infrequent that this problem shows (maybe1or2 times a year) that I can't bring myself to do it yet.

I've seen that thread in the past, I contemplated it but it's been so infrequent that this problem shows (maybe1or2 times a year) that I can't bring myself to do it yet.

probably last a long time but will keep getting worse till it becomes a pain in the a$$.

i have ASV clutch lever and it won't actuate the clutch switch they are the correct ones for an 05 r3 but just won't actuate switch had to refit original lever and all ok

I suspect mine as well. Since replacing my clutch lever and re-adjusting mine is also dead and will not start. :(
I shall keep an eye on this thread and your progress. :thumbsup:

Back