Bob spruce

Rocketpilot
Ride
05 Rocket
20190521_213818.jpg
20190521_213452.jpg
20190521_213308.jpg

05 Roadster gray motor
I replaced the dent spring. I received a mtc clutch kit. When I put the clutch outer drum in. The drum seems back far enough. But the two gears are not completely meshed. The outer one seems to be overhanging the primary gear. The book says to go thru a hole and preload the gears? What is that about?. And if you have the step by step putting it back together. Judder spring? Any help here would be great. I want this project over. And how much slack is supposed to be in the water pump chain?
It looks like there is a threaded hole in between the chain. In the manual it shows something there that would tighten slack in the chain.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a backlash eliminator on the clutch basket. The gear ring is in fact two marginally sprung apart. A big flat screwdriver and a bit of gentle prising and the two will align and the drum will push all the way back in with ease.

Forget the confusing triumph diagram - I wasted hours studying that too - Then @warp9.9 gave me the screwdriver tip. Don't worry about the pump chain.

There is a backlash eliminator on the clutch basket. The gear ring is in fact two marginally sprung apart. A big flat screwdriver and a bit of gentle prising and the two will align and the drum will push all the way back in with ease.

Forget the confusing triumph diagram - I wasted hours studying that too - Then @warp9.9 gave me the screwdriver tip. Don't worry about the pump chain.

This ^^

I use a 6mm iirc ball end allen key, seems it would be less sharp on the back plate.
If you look into the hole the manual tells you to poke into, you'll see the holes need a little levering to align. Lever them to line up and push the basket in that last few mm.

Oil pump chain slack looks normal. It is not adjustable.
Oh and leave out the OEM anti judder spring and accompanying washer when installing the MTC fiber clutch kit. I learned the hard way didn't I @warp9.9

Everthing sounds right if you need or want a better picture then the book I can find one lord knows I stubbed my foot on a MTC clutch basket in the dining room a couple times yesterday :)

On that pic of the chain, those 6 nubs have to line up, and go into 6 holes in the back of the clutch basket. If not aligned, it will hold the basket out about 1/4" or so.

Everthing sounds right if you need or want a better picture then the book I can find one lord knows I stubbed my foot on a MTC clutch basket in the dining room a couple times yesterday :)
Then I think you should send it to me. Or you'll hurt that foot.

A better picture, might make me more comfortable. Thank you
see if this is clear enough if not I will pull the clutch I have apart and get a better shot. all it is a pry hole :)

Backlash iliminator alignment hole.jpg
and here is the MTC which is a duplicate. we gave them a new OEM basket so they could design there basket to attach to the triumph back plates on with larger rivets

Backlash iliminator alignment hole MTC.jpg

and from the back side

Back lash eliminator from the rear.jpg

Back