Thanks all. Live and learn. Not a hard jib at all. Just time consuming with so much removal. Also running engine ice now. Will see if that works as advertised. They claim cooler running temps which my thighs would appreciate

learning the hard way again. I was having troubles shifting adjusted the clutch cable to the max and was hearing noise from inside her guts. clutch cable went totally slack towed home took off the clutch pan saw theh lifter shaft was worn out had a quick glance at the lifter pin seemed ok at first glance replaced the lifter shaft test drive was crap first shifts were ok but barely made it around the block replaced the cable again it gave out just is i barely made it back again. Took her apart lifter shaft shot again removed the pin found that and the bearing wore out. thats what i get for being cheap and in a hurry.
IMG_1187.JPG
IMG_1188.JPG

Aloha....out riding yesterday...2009 Rocket3. Under 10K. Nasty noise and curbside. First thought I snapped the clutch cable...nada...clutch engager arm is flopping around....have found there is a weak design flaw with some pin ..lifter piece..and chatting with some folks and checking manual this looks like it is the issue as the head of the pin snaps.... Anyhow, on bike bandit it shows a motor number of 249178 and higher as there must have been a change over near then. Seems a low number for a 2009. I don't have the bike in front of me and want to order parts so wondering if anyone has some info on engine number and aprox year this change was made. Couple more questions

Parts to buy-Lifter piece.
Front gasket
New antifreeze as I have to remove the radiator.
Oil change....might as well s I will dumping the oil.
Thoughts on any other parts needed? I see a few small parts and a bearing also that I may just replace.

My question is as I have never torn into a Rockets clutch...I assume the head of the pin inserts into the front pressure plate. I need to dig this piece out so will the front plate need to be removed as I assume the pin inserts and is set on the back side of the plate or is it attached on the front facing portion? no schematic to look at in the manual.

Just curious what was the nasty noise ya heard when it first happened? Mine sounds like a piston crown has broken off but comes from the front of the engine. here is a sound file.......

Just curious what was the nasty noise ya heard when it first happened? Mine sounds like a piston crown has broken off but comes from the front of the engine. here is a sound file.......
If you snap the shaft...thats it. Clutch cannot be engaged. I first thought I snapped the cable. No noise....it didn't run...towed and waited for shaft...35 usd and many hours of work. Won't over tighten the clutch cable again.

Back