Chasin a Gremlin.....

Well.... sorta back to square one. It was running well enough for a ride up and down the street. Only problem was a ruff idle, but I hadn't adjusted the throttle bodies yet. While adjusting the throttle bodies, it all went south. Started dropping cylinders, backfiring out the intake, and making that burn your eyes fumes, almost like it was trying to run backwards! Then, to make things worse, I had been sitting on a 5 gallon bucket, while working on it, and I had to slide the bucket back a foot or so, so I could squat down to see the adjustment screws. When I stood up, I fell over backwards, and luckily knocked the bucket over in the process. My but landed on the bucket, splitting it up both sides, (the bucket ha!) but cushioning the fall. My arms are black and blue, from flailing around banging onto all the cwap I have in my very clustered work space. So, healing up today, watching MotoGP. And now suspect the only thing I haven't changed out, "the crank position sensor". I know it's just a coil, and you'd think it would either be open circuit (bad), or show a resistance (that I don't know). BUT what if it had an intermittent short? Just grabbing at straws. I'll put my meter on it tomorrow, and compare the reading to another one I have.
Just watched Mark Marquez slide down at 164 mph, and he got up and walked away !!!! "BALLS" o_O :eek::)
Youre a character!....i sat back on a stool that wasnt there a few weeks back while fiddling with my bike too!...fell onto my chainsaw and some other shyte!...lay there pulling a face and breathing thru clenched teeth whilst my mind checked my body for broken bones?....nuthing cept bruises around my ribs and back...got up and swore at my own stupidness!..
These boys know how to come off a bike at speed dont they?...the idea is to hang on and slide...lotsa good leather helps...its when the bike dumps you hard and you do cartwheels the damage is done!

Well, at my wit's end. Now down to number 2 cylinder not firing. So close. Starts up with a high idle, around 12/1300, then settles down to a nice idle, only 2 cylinders! Sounds like a Harley! Pulled injector rail, cranked while connected, all 3 spraying just fine, even though I was getting an "injector 2 circuit malfunction" error code". ??? So just for giggles, I went ahead and swapped out number 2 and 3 coils. Already swapped number one, at the beginning of this mess. NO CHANGE! Today I will pull a plug out of number 2, do a compression test, and check for spark at the plug. Now leaning towards going through ALL the wiring connectors, unplugging, spraying with brake cleaner, and re-plugging. What say you all when re-plugging? Di-electric grease, silicon grease, or dry? Read an old post where some di-electric grease had caused an injector to miss-fire. Just grabbing at straws. o_O :eek:o_Oo_O:eek:

Well, at my wit's end. Now down to number 2 cylinder not firing. So close. Starts up with a high idle, around 12/1300, then settles down to a nice idle, only 2 cylinders! Sounds like a Harley! Pulled injector rail, cranked while connected, all 3 spraying just fine, even though I was getting an "injector 2 circuit malfunction" error code". ??? So just for giggles, I went ahead and swapped out number 2 and 3 coils. Already swapped number one, at the beginning of this mess. NO CHANGE! Today I will pull a plug out of number 2, do a compression test, and check for spark at the plug. Now leaning towards going through ALL the wiring connectors, unplugging, spraying with brake cleaner, and re-plugging. What say you all when re-plugging? Di-electric grease, silicon grease, or dry? Read an old post where some di-electric grease had caused an injector to miss-fire. Just grabbing at straws. o_O :eek:o_Oo_O:eek:
Sounds like you had it sussed with the vacuum hoses until you had problems balancing throttle bodies. Wondering if now they might be too far out of adjustment. That and (long shot here) but did you replace the caps on the throttle bodies? I know you listed that on your “to do” list early on. Mine were rotted and the bike ran like crap. Whatever it is- you’ll get it figured out.

this is what i would do
with ignition on
hook a 12 volt test light
the clamp part to negative batt terminal
1st put test probe to coil the positive side should light up also same with injectors.
then put test probe to coil negative side
the clamp part to positive batt terminal
when motor cranks over the light should flicker every time the ecu grounds the coils or injectors this is the way to check the wires and the ecm to see if it is grounding coils and injectors.
the rockets have a very good ecu
i dought it is bad but ecus usually go bad on the grounding circuit and many times they work until they get hot and then fail.

Report of progress...NONE! Taking a break on it for awhile, as a rag in the gas tank, and a match, were coming to mind. Got a used ECM from egay, and NO difference. Starts, but backfires out #2 intake, sputters and spurts, like all the plug wires are crossed up. But they are not. Found some neat test info. Look up "noid" lights. Very useful to check for impulse on injectors and coils. Might start from scratch, take intake off, check the boots, compression test all 3 cylinders, etc. etc. If anyone has a crank position sensor laying around, check the resistance and let me know. I have 2. One reads 575 ohms and the other 1.2k The 575 is from a 05, the other is what was in this 2015 engine. I now have the 05 sensor in, but it made no difference in the problem. :)

I thought it was running well after switching around the vacuum lines, then problems arose again while trying to sync the throttle bodies....

"sorted out the vacuum hoses to the map sensor. Yup, I had them all wrong. PRESTO! She's running pretty good now,"
next post... "she will light up the tire in second gear WOT !!!!!". next post..."While adjusting the throttle bodies, it all went south."

Yup, that is exactly the things that I've been through. That's why I was pretty sure it must be the ECU, as it had/has so much weirdness to it. At this point, it's beyond me, totally. Yes, I tried 3 different coils, injectors, CPS, throttle body and now even the ECU. I promise, if it turns out being something stupid, I'll still post it for you all. Still wondering about the 2 CPS units I have, with different ohm readings. And the one thing I do not have a replacement to try, is the MAP sensor. It does make a difference in idling, when I pinch each vacuum line, so it must be sensing something. At a loss...................o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

But didn't problems move from 1 to 2? Could you try swapping coils 2 and 3. It sure sounds a lot like my coil issue, I thought I fixed 3 different times, then it would rear it's ugly head again. I'm not clear on your last post, " tried 3 different coils"

Last edited:
Back