Changing Tires

Dawg68

Nitrous
Ride
2014 R3R / 2017 R3T
About a month and a half ago I was riding to work on my 16 thunderbird LT when I experienced my first flat tire. I was doing about 110kmh when I realized something was wrong. By the time I realized it was time to got off the highway, front wheel was smoking. Long story short I was able to keep the shiny side up and get out of the way of traffic. Called for road side assistance and within an hour I was at the dealership trying to figure out what went wrong. No puncturs...we figured the tube let go at the valve. Anyway... this is the part of the story that p!$$d me off. $240 just to pull the wheel and change the tube. After they decided the front tire was shot.. the bill jumped to $435...they replaced the stock Avon with a Metz, its all they had in stock.

This is what prompted me to purchase the tools nesessary to do my own tire changes including balancing. Today I tackled the front tire of my R3R. Well I have to say....not a hard job at all. I’ve never replaced tires before but it’s not that difficult. I actually enjoyed using the wheel balancer.
Here is a list of the tools I purchased,

83E5B331-CD4B-4313-B2D3-59697BA33BD8.jpeg 9D108253-A50A-4E81-B6B3-C8099C041786.jpeg 554312B9-5FBC-45AC-98D9-DB1B2C5B7526.jpeg
I spent about $230 for all the tools and a couple boxes of wheel weights.
I figure this is one service that will have a pretty quick return on my investment.
Cheers

Would be nice to have an actual list, with links.

Good going.

And also, many folks are daunted by the prospect of changing tires, and we know cognitively it can be done -- would be neat for you to follow up with a few photos and a description of the sequence, force required, and so on.

Thank you.

I have yet to do this on my Rocket, but I did change my own tires on my VTX1300. I used the rim guards (seem like a one time use item), a set of 3 spoons, and a pit posse wheel balancer, spent about $100 on tools.

As for how to do it, there are a bunch of youtube videos that walk through the process.

Pit Posse Wheel balancer

http://a.co/59If9Cb

Spoons

http://a.co/jb7ZduF

About a month and a half ago I was riding to work on my 16 thunderbird LT when I experienced my first flat tire. I was doing about 110kmh when I realized something was wrong. By the time I realized it was time to got off the highway, front wheel was smoking. Long story short I was able to keep the shiny side up and get out of the way of traffic. Called for road side assistance and within an hour I was at the dealership trying to figure out what went wrong. No puncturs...we figured the tube let go at the valve. Anyway... this is the part of the story that p!$$d me off. $240 just to pull the wheel and change the tube. After they decided the front tire was shot.. the bill jumped to $435...they replaced the stock Avon with a Metz, its all they had in stock.

This is what prompted me to purchase the tools nesessary to do my own tire changes including balancing. Today I tackled the front tire of my R3R. Well I have to say....not a hard job at all. I’ve never replaced tires before but it’s not that difficult. I actually enjoyed using the wheel balancer.
Here is a list of the tools I purchased,

83E5B331-CD4B-4313-B2D3-59697BA33BD8.jpeg 9D108253-A50A-4E81-B6B3-C8099C041786.jpeg 554312B9-5FBC-45AC-98D9-DB1B2C5B7526.jpeg
I spent about $230 for all the tools and a couple boxes of wheel weights.
I figure this is one service that will have a pretty quick return on my investment.
Cheers
Have the same wheel balance tool and it works great.

Back