Carpenter Rocket Comparison

Yeah premium on mine, but my timing is tuned and regular may not go well for me. i will use 89 but not gonna race it on that, but a safe tune will run 89 and a very safe tune obviously regular works but all this depends on tune , timing and compression ratio or you will detonate if octane is too low.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210614-182504~2.png
    Screenshot_20210614-182504~2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
I run regular, Bob Carpenter told me save your money, it's tuned to run on regular. Unless I'm storing it, I snowbird between NY and Florida, so I switch to non ethanol a couple weeks before I leave, which is invariably premium.

The carpenter engine is a race engine, and works by freeing up the intake and exhaust (including the head ports) to allow more air through (more air = more horses), and also shifting the power delivery characteristics up in the rev range with cams and other stuff to facilitate higher rev limit... because torque and hp are always equal at 5252rpm, the more torque you make higher up in the revs the more horsepower you will make.
And the more revs you have the more power you will make, because more revs means more air means more horses... provided it is cammed to suit and the engine can breathe i.e.. intake and exhaust suitable.

The peak torque of the stock bike and the Carpenter bike will be similar enough but the real difference is their cams shift that torque band way up the revs so the engine makes way more power.

Basically you have to wind the Carpenter engine up in the revs to hit its 'powerband', whereas with the stock bike its powerband is pretty much from idle.

The Carpenter bike is a lot faster than stock bike but you need to rev them out. Like if I do a roll on in top gear on my Rocket from 50mph vs my hayabusa in top at 50, the rocket embarrasses the busa.... but drop a few gears so the busa is in its powerband I.e. up in the revs, it will destroy the Rocket after 70 or 80mph.

So I have been toying with building a Rocket for an LSR attempt to break into some of the open classes that have no records. Surprisingly the Rocket has very few and is prime for setting something. My thoughts are taking me to the final drive gearing which is a big limiting factor for higher mph speeds. I think it will be necessary to change the ring gear to a higher ratio to achieve higher speeds beyond what an engine built to handle 9000 rpm can do. Comment from you genius guys please.

Well the 9000rpm engine will be good for practically 240mph provided it has the power etc to get there.
If that's not enough, there are options to go further, all involving a lot of $$$$$.
There's Black Ice Racing in Oz who converted to chain drive so sprockets can be changed and thus gearing a little
There are alternatives for the rear wheel to raise gearing a little
It may be possible to replace the helical output shaft and torsional damper gears with a pair of different ratio.. to raise gearing a little.. top possible speed depends on ratio
Or of course there is a 6th gear possible..... 320mph top speed with 9000rpm engine....
But anything to do with custom made gears ime is bankruptcy.

Last edited:
Back