CANs and LANs an' our Will to pay

All I can say is I'm not one that appreciates all things tech in my vehicle. Technology has improved fuel mileage, longevity and made more dependable vehicles. But being a professional driver I'm seeing less true drivers and more wheel holders addicted to gadgets and gizmos. These distractions make less capable drivers and add to the cost of already expensive vehicles.
With that said, my wife has agreed that our next "new" car will likely be a late sixties or early seventies model rebuilt with a modern engine and good brakes.

All I can say is I'm not one that appreciates all things tech in my vehicle. Technology has improved fuel mileage, longevity and made more dependable vehicles. But being a professional driver I'm seeing less true drivers and more wheel holders addicted to gadgets and gizmos. These distractions make less capable drivers and add to the cost of already expensive vehicles.
With that said, my wife has agreed that our next "new" car will likely be a late sixties or early seventies model rebuilt with a modern engine and good brakes.

Wannabe I agree with you entirely.

It's the Yamaha R1 debate - when does a motorcycle stop being a motorcycle and become something else?
Its a racing discussion too allowing rider control of increased power output through Yamaha’s proprietary six-axis inertial-measurement unit (IMU), which measures pitch, roll, yaw, and acceleration fore and aft, up and down, and side to side. It then feeds all of this data to the Yamaha Ride Control processor that meters Power Delivery, Traction Control, Slide Control, Lift Control, Launch Control, and the Quick Shifter. Settings are controlled via a TFT display interface.

Is this a future race class?

Last edited:
I agree, it can make an average rider better and can make a great rider even better. But then the debate can become more about who has more money for technology instead of which person is more skilled. My grandson being my only link to the youngest generation, leaves me worried because they don't take chances. They, and their parents, never let them take a chance that could result in a scratch or bruise.
This worries me that when they are older and are confronted by someone physically they are not going to have the stomach to fight back. I'm already seeing this in interactions with college age young men that have no backbone.

The R3 is the ONLY non carburettor bike I have ever had. And It will be the last.
I have to work with electronics - I don't want to play with them. I can - it's what I do - but it's just so soul destroying.

I never left analogue - I've had my Guzzi since 1982.
Notably my car is electronics free too. Mechanical Diesel Injection. 22 years young. The only way to stop the engine - cut off fuel.

Notably my car is electronics free too. Mechanical Diesel Injection. 22 years young. The only way to stop the engine - cut off fuel.

Whereas my car is evidently a very talkative electronic marvel. Just learned this week that it had notified the dealer that it needed an oil change. So, I told it to go get one. I guess its all talk and no action, its still in the garage.

A lot of cool.content here. I think my dream car at this point would be a 69 Mercury Cougar convertible with a 90s 5.0 fuel injected motor. On the other hand I really think all that data collection and application on that Yamaha bike is really cool. I would like to build a diesel bike some day. The R3 may be a good candidate for that. I wonder how much power could be made from a 2.3L turbo diesel? :)

I agree, it can make an average rider better and can make a great rider even better. But then the debate can become more about who has more money for technology instead of which person is more skilled. My grandson being my only link to the youngest generation, leaves me worried because they don't take chances. They, and their parents, never let them take a chance that could result in a scratch or bruise.
This worries me that when they are older and are confronted by someone physically they are not going to have the stomach to fight back. I'm already seeing this in interactions with college age young men that have no backbone.

You're so right Wannabe - its a discussion I have with my daughters fairly often and I don't know if its a generation gap, or me just being an old man - I am hoping they'll just step up when their time comes

The R3 is the ONLY non carburettor bike I have ever had. And It will be the last.
I have to work with electronics - I don't want to play with them. I can - it's what I do - but it's just so soul destroying.

I never left analogue - I've had my Guzzi since 1982.

barbagris - I've a feeling there is going to be a flow in these two directions.
If you have deep pockets and it doesn't matter - plug and play, modular technology is the way to go.
Its a sign of our times - throw out the old, plug in another.

Until legislation intervenes. Electronics means control.

In the US etc I can't say - but Europe will become more and more governed. In 2020 you'll emit more CO following a meal of sprouts than a car will.

The danger - and there has been precedents - is when it's all back dated. So affects older vehicles.

Plug and play does not have to be expensive - IF standardised components are enforced - but

flyingpig.jpeg

Back