CANs and LANs an' our Will to pay

Skililo

.040 Over
Ride
2013 Triumph Rocket III Roadster
We've all heard and seen talk in social media (none-the-least) of modular technology, plug-n-play and the development of digitally preferred transportation. I've even read twice so far this week about driverless cars been deployed by Uber and some other city or other beating them to the punch.

Its a tempting prospect - if you can afford it - download the App, GPS your location, hail a ride.

I am also very closely associated (through my Art) with what is called Caferacer culture and our romance with analog motorcycles. Have owned and ridden many a Honda over the years across thousands of miles and there is just something simpler about those days - the set of points, a couple plugs, new condenser and my trusty strobe light. Maybe a new coil if I was really unlucky.

We're entranced today though with digital performance, digital economy and well, just gizmos :)

The survey I got from Triumph earlier this year regarding the 2017 Rocket III certainly tells me the brain trust at Hinkley is considering making the next Rocket even more digital, even more electronic, even more enhanced so one can't help but ponder, what with Castrol spending all that time out on the Salt Flats recently, those brilliant minds are pushing the envelope even further.

Question they asked me in that Survey was - basically how much extra are you willing to pay for that?

Its not the cost of the bike though, we can all make a plan for our ride, its the maintenance and here lies my word of caution to the initiated and the wise. A motorcycle CAN is a LAN and its the vehicle's digital ecosystem. Its what works all that wonderful technology and its what the ECU/M uses to communicate.

Now if you ever see error Code P1690, CAN Bus Malfunction
This happens when the ECU/M loses connection with the instrument cluster
CAN = Car Area Network
CAN is a LAN for vehicles
The various ECU/M's on the vehicle talk to each other via CAN
In this case, the main ECU/M on the bike talking with the computer in the gauges

You see that error, it means you have to replace the Instrument cluster - its modular.

Lesson from Elena Myers who most of us love and admire for her work on the race track.
She dropped her 675 a few weeks back and then fell out of the next two races, because her Techs were chasing ghosts in the wiring harness. You drop a bike hard today, just replace the entire wiring harness - its modular.

That's the cost of the digital standards we've all come to expect, not the bike - that now becomes disposable.

Last edited:
You and I are breathing the same air maestro Skililo
A few years back the bicycling industry came out with wireless electronic shifting groupo's for high end racing bikes. Of course the bike has to be plugged into the charger overnight to be able to ride again tomorrow.......... :rolleyes:
All my friends were so giddy & exited about it. one of them asked me when I was going to switch out & I said never :mad:
To me, the beauty of riding a bicycle is that man & machine become one & if I have to turn the pedals mechanically with my muscles I also want to be able to work the brakes and the gears mechanically with levers attached to cables that move the derailleurs - Not everything in this world needs to be AUTOMATIC

You and I are breathing the same air maestro Skililo
A few years back the bicycling industry came out with wireless electronic shifting groupo's for high end racing bikes. Of course the bike has to be plugged into the charger overnight to be able to ride again tomorrow.......... :rolleyes:
All my friends were so giddy & exited about it. one of them asked me when I was going to switch out & I said never :mad:
To me, the beauty of riding a bicycle is that man & machine become one & if I have to turn the pedals mechanically with my muscles I also want to be able to work the brakes and the gears mechanically with levers attached to cables that move the derailleurs - Not everything in this world needs to be AUTOMATIC

You're absolutely right EasTexRIII - I really understand the whole analog-bike customizing and rebuilding passion for this very reason.

If Triumph get Apple to do the work - The i-RocketIII will probably sell loads despite huge marketing overheads passed onto the consumer.

Its a big push barbagris - as I guess its what sells hardware now.
We've stopped regarding our motorcycles as transportation and started thinking of them simply as another piece of hardware.
As disposable as our iPhone or Droid, an extension of our IOT environment and therefore with the same shelf-life.

Its a big push barbagris - as I guess its what sells hardware now.
We've stopped regarding our motorcycles as transportation and started thinking of them simply as another piece of hardware.
As disposable as our iPhone or Droid, an extension of our IOT environment and therefore with the same shelf-life.
That's not how I view mine. I understand what you are saying in your original post but I like my rocket so much that it may be the last bike I own.

That's not how I view mine. I understand what you are saying in your original post but I like my rocket so much that it may be the last bike I own.

- am hoping the same thing BigNorm, its the modular design that intimidates me.
Can remember saying the Cherokee Jeep that GM made back in 2001 was the last of the true Jeeps.
Everything since then has become more and more modular, till only the front grill looks like anything recognizable.

The 2017 Rocket may have GPS, gyros, cruise control, ABS, heated grips, heated seat(s), tire pressure sensors, different riding position, smaller tank and maybe even different sized tires and rims. Those are just a few of the questions I can recall from the survey.
Where does it stop being our Rocket and become a Goldwing?

Its all creature comfort and to each their own, some folks like gizmos on their bikes and they enjoy making their transportation part of their IOT, which is what motorcycling is all about.
I just fear for the motor-mac our beloved analog technicians of today and yesteryear who increasingly have to become Tier 4 IT Techs to keep up with their certifications.
The dealers who need to up-train the skills of their Techs every year, the diagnostic equipment and tools that they need to have access to in order to fault-find.
The plug-and-play approach that needs to be adopted in order to fix anything, forget about tracing the loom and replacing a simple switch - those days are fading.

Change is inevitable and for every generation, there have been those sitting on the porch with their beers in hand talking about the good-ole-days, it happens over and again.
I just note the generation now looking at those old analog 1980s motorcycles, then pulling them out the garage to start turning them into Caferacers.
The folks looking for an old T100 to turn into a weekend project and asking questions on forums such as this.

I get it - I understand where they are coming from, because I do believe that the 2017 Rocket III is a sign of things to come.

.... but I like my rocket so much that it may be the last bike I own.
I KNOW that my 1979 Guzzi will be the last bike I ride. Long after the R3 has gone. Why? - No electronics. Engine built for an army tractor.
The 2017 Rocket may have ......, smaller tank .......
Smaller Tank? - so even less use for distance.

I've said it often that the R3 will be the last NEW bike I buy.

I KNOW that my 1979 Guzzi will be the last bike I ride. Long after the R3 has gone. Why? - No electronics. Engine built for an army tractor.
Smaller Tank? - so even less use for distance.

I've said it often that the R3 will be the last NEW bike I buy.

That appears to be the split barbagris - the bike population (other than weekend enthusiasts) seems to be splitting along a digital divide. The people that want a winter project or a weekend garage rebuild are drifting back to analog.
If dealers want to sell bikes, they have to have Bluetooth, Sirius and be able to talk to your Apple watch - we're expecting them to be like cars now and just connected.
Which is all great and really 21st century but how do you fix it?

Back