Can Cam Timing be off from Top Dead Center?

GaryB

.020 Over
Ride
2005 Rocket III
I can usually find answers to my issues but this one I can't seem to find anywhere. So here is my first question post.

I have a 2005 Rocket III and the motor is in the frame and I would prefer not to remove the front cover.

My issue is when setting cam timing I can't get all of the chain slack on the adjuster side so after install when I turn the crankshaft the adjuster continues to adjust and then the cams are not aligned with TDC. I have tried several times to turn the crankshaft away from TDC so that when the slack is taken up I am closer to TDC but the below picture is the best I have been able to do. The picture shows where the cams are when at TDC. The cams are aligned to each other but are a little out from TDC.

Is this acceptable?
Any one else had this issue and found a way to solve it?
Is there some trick to getting all the slack on the adjuster side?

Cam Timing Marks at TDC.jpg

As nev says do the tensioner drop and chain length measurements. In the manual, but you can use a calipers instead of the Triumph tool for the drop. 16mm is the limit before spacer is needed.

Also you might have a watch of this, you might spot something useful

As nev says do the tensioner drop and chain length measurements. In the manual, but you can use a calipers instead of the Triumph tool for the drop. 16mm is the limit before spacer is needed.

Im sorry to bud in and of course check the tensioner drop. Anyway are you using the timing fixture ? I ask because I do not see it. And going by eye with a straight blade across the head is not the way. Anyway one of the moderators still has my timing fixture. If you want we can get it mailed to you? Then when you're done one you can ship it back to me.

Thanks for the video it did give me some ideas to try.

Im sorry to bud in and of course check the tensioner drop. Anyway are you using the timing fixture ? I ask because I do not see it. And going by eye with a straight blade across the head is not the way. Anyway one of the moderators still has my timing fixture. If you want we can get it mailed to you? Then when you're done one you can ship it back to me.

I will do the tensioner drop just to make sure I don't need a spacer. I built my own timing fixture which seems to be working but maybe getting the official tool would be helpful. Who should I contact and give my address to?

Thanks all for the help. I will hopefully get the checks done tonight and post the results. I also have some things to try since it occurs to me that I am either one tooth off on the crankshaft or the chain is worn out. The bike was running great before adjusting the valve clearances so I don't think the chain or tensioner is the issue but who knows.

I will do the tensioner drop just to make sure I don't need a spacer. I built my own timing fixture which seems to be working but maybe getting the official tool would be helpful. Who should I contact and give my address to?
Paul aka
@Joesmoe would be the man ! Now that he has been summoned he will pop in before long.

Thanks all for the help. I will hopefully get the checks done tonight and post the results. I also have some things to try since it occurs to me that I am either one tooth off on the crankshaft or the chain is worn out. The bike was running great before adjusting the valve clearances so I don't think the chain or tensioner is the issue but who knows.[/QUOT Might be on the right track but,I know a whole lot less than warp or the man in the shed,my 07 ran like sh*t after dealer did adjustment ended up taking to Adam&Kyle at 2guyes in Gilbert they made it right ended up being 1 tooth off from dealer in Alb. Adam/Kyle at 2 guyes are very good fair and will earn youre buisiness might check them out

Back