Can Cam Timing be off from Top Dead Center?

The chain needs to have no slack and no pre-load. One adjusts initially with the valve cover off to achieve this. After some useage if there needs to be adjustment, you can either remove the valve cover and check, whilst adjusting, or remove the little nut/cover from the front of the motor,so the crankshaft can be turned. Rocking the crankshaft backwards and forwards a little will allow you to feel how much movement/slack is in the chain. Tighten BY FINGER PRESSURE to just remove the slack without preloading the chain. I struggle to describe this to people who do not know how it works, it is a feel thing. It really is not hard , for a mechanical person, but very hard if one is not mechanically inclined. If you think you are not a mechanically inclined person , pay some one who is to do it, or remove the valve cover and look while you are doing it. It is no different to any brand of manual cam chain adjuster for other brands of bike etc. If you go online and buy one from one of many companies for say, your Hyabusa, there is no instructions. The various companies assume you will be buying it because you are modifying the engine etc and know what you need to do. I hope this is helpful, Kevin. Call me if you wish, I can sure talk a lot faster than I can type. :)

The chain needs to have no slack and no pre-load. One adjusts initially with the valve cover off to achieve this. After some useage if there needs to be adjustment, you can either remove the valve cover and check, whilst adjusting, or remove the little nut/cover from the front of the motor,so the crankshaft can be turned. Rocking the crankshaft backwards and forwards a little will allow you to feel how much movement/slack is in the chain. Tighten BY FINGER PRESSURE to just remove the slack without preloading the chain. I struggle to describe this to people who do not know how it works, it is a feel thing. It really is not hard , for a mechanical person, but very hard if one is not mechanically inclined. If you think you are not a mechanically inclined person , pay some one who is to do it, or remove the valve cover and look while you are doing it. It is no different to any brand of manual cam chain adjuster for other brands of bike etc. If you go online and buy one from one of many companies for say, your Hyabusa, there is no instructions. The various companies assume you will be buying it because you are modifying the engine etc and know what you need to do. I hope this is helpful, Kevin. Call me if you wish, I can sure talk a lot faster than I can type. :)
i understand and comprehend exactly what you are saying and will when needed be able to adjust no problem, thank you for splaining:thumbsup:

Back