Cam chain only has 4 links vs 5

For the record:
New, smaller chain is circa 2009 -2018.
Bigger chain is 2004-2009.

There was overlap between the two and I'm not positive about touring change timeline, if it even did.

Both are still available and the old design was not superceded, but, to get the old chain you must order the timing replacement kit. The kit includes the old style chain and replacement gears. New style chain fits 2004-2009 gears correctly in regard to pin size/distance, however I cannot confirm the outer plates seat around the outside of gears as intended.

The old chain and gears kit costs about 3 times what just a new style chain costs.

I broke a new style chain that had only 15k miles or so on it in my 265 bike. I replaced it with an old style chain on the same gears. I wouldn't hesitate to use a new style chain in a stock or drop in cam bike at all.

I will never use, or allow to be used if I'm working on it, a new style chain on a big cam bike again. I got lucky with no valve or head damage when I broke mine, that was a 1 in a million lesson.

New chain is shorter and has a shorter max service length, look at the original manual vs roadster supplement. This is almost certainly the result of reshaped guides.

The manual tensioners are long enough to work with either length chain.

Last edited:
For the record:

There was overlap between the two and I'm not positive about touring change timeline, if it even did.

Both are still available and the old design was not superceded, but, to get the old chain you must order the timing replacement kit. The kit includes the old style chain and replacement gears. New style chain fits 2004-2009 gears correctly in regard to pin size/distance, however I cannot confirm the outer plates seat around the outside of gears as intended.

The old chain and gears kit costs about 3 times what just a new style chain costs.

I broke a new style chain that had only 15k miles or so on it in my 265 bike. I replaced it with an old style chain on the same gears. I wouldn't hesitate to use a new style chain in a stock or drop in cam bike at all.

I will never use, or allow to be used if I'm working on it, a new style chain on a big cam bike again. I got lucky with no valve or head damage when I broke mine, that was a 1 in a million lesson.

New chain is shorter and has a shorter max service length, look at the original manual vs roadster supplement. This is almost certainly the result of reshaped guides.

T1143200 170 links is the only chain i see. im gonna need a fat daddy chain. Order exact fot vin, on it:thumbsup: reading is power

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be nice if Triumph explained to us why they changed the many things..............
Fully agree. Normally a manufacturer tries to upgrade their product to make it better. Is going to a supposed lighter chain better???? Is the consensus to use the older version chain because it has more links and appears to be stronger? Can someone summarize what the "best" chain/sprocket combination we should get when it comes to replacing these components? A little confused reading through this series of posts again.

I run the new version with a 2015 Rocket X. Changed out chain by recommendation when i bought the street cams. Plan on replacing chain again at 68,000 miles along with new chain guides.

Fully agree. Normally a manufacturer tries to upgrade their product to make it better. Is going to a supposed lighter chain better???? Is the consensus to use the older version chain because it has more links and appears to be stronger? Can someone summarize what the "best" chain/sprocket combination we should get when it comes to replacing these components? A little confused reading through this series of posts again.

I would say that the wider chain would be better for longevity and stronger
if every split second mattered then the narrow chain is the one to use.

Yep chain changed the begining of the Roadsters. If your running stock springs and cams it shouldn't make a difference.
And if you are using Neville Lush Cams and Springs what cam chain should be used ? Important for me because my 2006 with 50,000 miles has the 9 plate cam chain and it is stretched beyond the allowed tolerance and my can tentioner was over 25mm. Cam guides looked like new. I have read the early bikes cam chain stretched relatively early.

SO WHAT CAM CHAIN DO I USE ? BTW: How do I get the follower guide out ? HELP.

For the record:

Oh I found my own answer. Thanks to Claviger. (Rob).

Lol, thats searching, Neville has said in a thread to use the chain they send now as you cant order the other. Iirc, if Neville is setting up this motor the chain will not be an issue whichever you use, his cam chain tensioner is sweet also.. just read the post where Neville says order chain for your vin, he was talking to you.

Last edited:
And if you are using Neville Lush Cams and Springs what cam chain should be used ? Important for me because my 2006 with 50,000 miles has the 9 plate cam chain and it is stretched beyond the allowed tolerance and my can tentioner was over 25mm. Cam guides looked like new. I have read the early bikes cam chain stretched relatively early.

SO WHAT CAM CHAIN DO I USE ? BTW: How do I get the follower guide out ? HELP.
If you are using Nevs head combo he probably has taken into consideration to have the right spring tension verses as strong as you can buy!!! I believe Rob mentioned the only way to get the larger chain was buy the gear and chain kit. Not just the chain. And Kevin is right Nevs chain tensioner is the neatest think since sliced bread.

Back