California Scientific Windshield Review

I went out today in fairly high winds (for riding) and got beat up a little on the freeway. I have my Mid size Powerbronze tightened down to where it barely moves at all at high speeds and I can do long distances but it's a fight in windy areas. I'm a little nervous about it cracking at prolonged higher speeds based on a few here that have experienced various aftermarket windshields cracking. There doesn't seem to be an aftermarket windshield that is anything better than "meh". The OEM is your best bet as it won't crack but after 65 mph you're going to get an a** kicking if you go for distance. I guess we will have to wait until something better comes along.

It's crazy that you have a much different experience than i do with the same windshield. Mine wobbles for sure, but not really significant until high speeds and it greatly reduced buffeting noise in my helmet. Weird.
Do you wear ear plugs? I agree it is amazing how we can have different experiences. Especially on the same bike.

In my mind a touring windshield has to hold up to 80+mph with 20 or more mph winds constant and passing tractor trailers all day. I don't want to risk being 1st day into a trip with no windshield. I don't need a windshield for under 65mnph

On the Cali sight he says that anytime you add a flip or recurve to a windshield it causes buffeting. I believe he is right except in my experience with the Cali windshield was no buffeting just WAY too loud smooth air in the middle of my helmet. I'm 6'1" I where a C3 pro and that didn't help.
Cali wont make a taller windshield because its too much pressure on the mounts. Either will 7Jurock . Its the design of our windshield mount that's the problem.

Hey Everyone,
I got around to installing the California Scientific clear windshield last weekend on my GT. The install was extremely easy and took maybe 5 minutes. I DID use some blue locktite as some extra security since you are only supposed to hand tighten the screws. I did about 100 miles or so, with about half at highway speeds up 100mph. It does wobble/flex a bit in the wind, but it is MUCH better than stock and doesn't look all that bad. I'm about 5'11" and it puts the wind about mid-helmet. It drastically improved having to fight the wind on the highway on my chest and greatly reduced wind noise since it was no longer going up under my helmet. Now, I do have a Neotec 2 helmet with Sena speakers, which isn't the quietest helmet, but it is improved. I also used Alpine touring earplugs and they are great. They actually made music sound clearer, but greatly reduced wind and engine noise. One thing to add with the "wobble", if you opt for the tinted screen, their website says it is a bit thinner than clear, so it may have more wobble. Hope this helps in your decision making.

I know I've a 2012 R3T, but could you put up some pics to see what it looks like installed ?

Attachments

• PXL_20210420_170718150.jpg
    PXL_20210420_170718150.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 87
Do you wear ear plugs? I agree it is amazing how we can have different experiences. Especially on the same bike.

In my mind a touring windshield has to hold up to 80+mph with 20 or more mph winds constant and passing tractor trailers all day. I don't want to risk being 1st day into a trip with no windshield. I don't need a windshield for under 65mnph

On the Cali sight he says that anytime you add a flip or recurve to a windshield it causes buffeting. I believe he is right except in my experience with the Cali windshield was no buffeting just WAY too loud smooth air in the middle of my helmet. I'm 6'1" I where a C3 pro and that didn't help.
Cali wont make a taller windshield because its too much pressure on the mounts. Either will 7Jurock . Its the design of our windshield mount that's the problem.
I am wearing earplugs now, but I tried it for 50 miles highway without and 50 with just to compare. Was still much better than stock and the earplugs make it pretty much perfect for me. You being a couple inches taller than me might make all the difference in the world. The stock screen put wind at my chest and up under my helmet. Now it's at the middle of my helmet. Not perfect but no longer coming up under.

My California Scientific shield is still for sale if anyone wants to try one.
Update: Sent mine back for a refund over a week ago, still no word from Cal Sci

Last edited:
I'd had the Cal-Sci windshield on for the past few months. Yesterday I switched back to my mid-sized Power Bronze and added a Puig clip-on adjustable shield. SOOO much happier. I forgot how much stiffer the Power Bronze is over the Cal-Sci. With the Puig on the wet-noodle Cal-Sci it was flat out dangerous. The flimsy plastic wasn't strong enough to take the load from the Puig and it would bend down and wobble even more severely.

Pretty happy again with the PB and Puig combo. Not perfect yet, but a wide margin better than the Cal-Sci.

Got these from Harley. They make them smaller. There are some that are transparent. MadGod's son makes them custom with engravings and such.

s-l1600 (11).jpg
What kind of reflectors are those. I could really use some... Thanks.....

Got these from Harley. They make them smaller. There are some that are transparent. MadGod's son makes them custom with engravings and such.

s-l1600 (11).jpg
Hey buddy... did you fit those lower deflectors to your rocket gt??? Where did you get them and what kind are they.. I too am having major wind issues... thanks...

Back