Cable connection problem

The "cannot open COM3" indicates that TuneECU can't "talk" to the cable. "COM3" is a communication port, also known as a serial port - the USB cable and the drivers for it "fake" an old school serial port.

Bottom line is that the cable isn't "talking to" the computer/TuneECU, it may still be talking to the bike.

Assuming the cable is the proper one with FTDi Chipset, read this:

Here's the direct link to the driver setup software: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM v2.10.00 WHQL Certified.exe

The cable has to be a model with the FTDi chipset. You can buy a blue cable on Amazon that isn't, and a blue cable that looks identical that has the proper chipset. Or one can just hit up http://lonelec.co.uk and get a known good one.

interface.JPG

Regards,

Tom

That was the same msg I was getting with the solid blue cable. I ordered this cable from amazon plugged it in and it worked great. I am also running windows 8.1. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003ZKKMLE
My first cable is solid blue and has the same end as that one. I think the symbol looks like a thumb print. It's always worked on my PC with Windows 7, and never needed anything to be loaded.

My next 2 cables are solid blue and from Vag-Com. They came with a disc, and will not work no matter what com port I run it through.

Tom

The cable i have will only show up as a serial , the usb is not highlighted so i can not click on it . Is this a cable issue or a adapter issue with the program ?

Hi Dave,

Please connect the cable to the computer, before TuneECU is started, and then check again if it was found by TuneECU.

If it still does not appear in TuneECU, then that's not a problem with the program, but rather a cable or driver problem.

The cable shows it as "USB serial Converter" in the Device Manager?
If so, which driver information is displayed there?
If the cable is not displayed in device Manager, then it is defective with great certainty.

devicemanager4.JPG

Regards,

Tom

Last edited:
Hi @dave64. Are you still having cable problems? Here's a couple of things I tried when my cable stopped working over the weekend.

I am assuming you have the correct cable and have verified the chipset etc so I won't touch on any of that.

After a couple of hours of googling I found an old post from Tom which mentioned disabling the VCP (virtual CoM port) on the driver, which I did. I don't think this fixed my cable problem, but rather simplified the number of variables I was dealing with.

With VCP disabled, the cable connected at both ends and the bike's ignition on I then went back in to TuneECU. I went to the Options Interface menu and selected my cable from the USB section. I can't quite remember but I think in the past I had been trying to connect via a Serial port.

TuneECU_Interface_Setting.jpg

I also enabled the Display Logs window in the hope that I would get an error message that pointed to my cable issue.

TuneECU_Display_Logs.jpg

With all this in place I then Clicked ECU Connect. Hey presto. It all worked.

I am waiting on a new cable to come from the link on here and then i will try again , i could not get the cable to show up as a usb on my puter . I will wait on the new cable and try again . thanks anyway but stay tuned pun intended .

I just got windows 8.1 and was going to try it pretty soon. I have already used TuneECU on my windows 7 computer numerous times but have a bad feeling about windows 8.1 not working correctly. I'm glad I ran across this thread. lol

Last edited:
Back