Buying in UK from Australia - Ripped off by customs!!!

Simonb

.020 Over
Ride
Rocket 3 roadster 2014
So guys - I've just had a bill from our great British customs and excise office telling me I owe them over £211 in charges and VAT for some kit I bought from Australia for £317???
Obviously im going to contest this but has anyone else experienced this and if so how did you deal with it?
I'm going to fill out the form from the HMRC website but any advice would be gratefully received.

I'm pissed off im getting charged anything but I suppose that's the luck of the draw. Getting charged excessively really grates though.

It was parts for my Roadster by the way!

Hi Simon,
What was the breakdown in charges ie. how much was import tax, Vat etc... Need to know as I'm expecting bits in from abroad and need to know the best way to avoid paying these excessive and exorbitant fees

I know tell me about it . you should get the tax bill before the item is delivered . maybe the tax man has fined you !

Is the not what things will be like if we buy outside the UK after Brexit ??

Hi Simon,
What was the breakdown in charges ie. how much was import tax, Vat etc... Need to know as I'm expecting bits in from abroad and need to know the best way to avoid paying these excessive and exorbitant fees
If the value is over £139 you will pay a customs duty at 2.5% and vat at 20% - you will also pay a fee for the post office. You pay this on the full amount including the postage .
The problem is what the person who's sending it declares when they post it. My items were £317 so I should have been paying £80 tops and they want £217 ?????

I know tell me about it . you should get the tax bill before the item is delivered . maybe the tax man has fined you !

Is the not what things will be like if we buy outside the UK after Brexit ??

Its the VAT you have to pay plus any import duties and charges - Brexit wont make a difference buyingfrom the EU - its all scaremongering

Legal racketeering the duties on import goods, used to bring in lots of parts from the states and it was a complete lottery as to what was paid,some didn’t get stopped whosoever but god help you if the Royal Mail got hold of it, kings ransom to get parts released!

So one answer would be to get the goods shipped in by A.N Other courier firm rather than general postal services where the Royal mail get their grubby little mits on the package. I understand that for goods between £135 to £873 (1000 euros) the rate is 2.5%. Then Vat is then charged on the total declared value of the goods, plus postage charges and insurance fees, plus import duty which bumps everything up considerably.

So one answer would be to get the goods shipped in by A.N Other courier firm rather than general postal services where the Royal mail get their grubby little mits on the package. I understand that for goods between £135 to £873 (1000 euros) the rate is 2.5%. Then Vat is then charged on the total declared value of the goods, plus postage charges and insurance fees, plus import duty which bumps everything up considerably.
I

Back