Buggered: challenge with calipers and brake pads

RockOn

Turbocharged
Ride
2006 R3 Classic, 2008 R3T, 2009 Harley Ultra
Decided today was the day to install new brake pads on the front calipers. I thought getting the cotter pin out would be the hardest part. Ha ha, wrong. The 5mm Allen head retaining pin will not budge and worse, it is rounded/stripped out to a point where my Allen head sockets and wrenches can't get a grip and slip too much.

So, I need ideas. Yes, I soaked the pin head with WD40 penetrating spray multiple times. I've considered grinding down a larger Allen head socket and pounding it in the pin head but suspect it will eventually spin and not grip. Should I try drilling it out? ??? :(

Decided today was the day to install new brake pads on the front calipers. I thought getting the cotter pin out would be the hardest part. Ha ha, wrong. The 5mm Allen head retaining pin will not budge and worse, it is rounded/stripped out to a point where my Allen head sockets and wrenches can't get a grip and slip too much.

So, I need ideas. Yes, I soaked the pin head with WD40 penetrating spray multiple times. I've considered grinding down a larger Allen head socket and pounding it in the pin head but suspect it will eventually spin and not grip. Should I try drilling it out? ??? :(
Think best way to try and drill would be to remove from bike and center under a drill press. Bolt is going to be hardened where they make the head. Start small drill, and lubricant, and keep increasing size until you can get a big enough ez-out to grab. Don't want to break ez-out in hole. If can't get to loosen keep increasing drill size to where you can pick threads out of housing. Before starting to drill, shock the bolt with a big hammer and biggest punch you can get into the hole. Good luck When you get it out, put some never-sieze on bolt thread before reassembling.

No do not drill it
U can try rapping it with a small hammer to loosen it up. Also heat.
If u want to send it to me i have the know how and the tools to remove it.
Would expect to b paid for return postage no charge for the repair.
Okay, thanks, I will try the hammer and heat. If that doesn't work for me I will be in touch. Thanks.

Think best way to try and drill would be to remove from bike and center under a drill press. Bolt is going to be hardened where they make the head. Start small drill, and lubricant, and keep increasing size until you can get a big enough ez-out to grab. Don't want to break ez-out in hole. If can't get to loosen keep increasing drill size to where you can pick threads out of housing. Before starting to drill, shock the bolt with a big hammer and biggest punch you can get into the hole. Good luck When you get it out, put some never-sieze on bolt thread before reassembling.

No do not drill it
U can try rapping it with a small hammer to loosen it up. Also heat.
If u want to send it to me i have the know how and the tools to remove it.
Would expect to b paid for return postage no charge for the repair.
That is an outstanding offer, hats off to you.

Look the pin is easy to remove with a reverse drill bit. It is not brain surgery.
Drill the the thing out with a reverse drill bit and it will more than likely come out easily. Done it a few dozen times on many a bike including the rocket.
Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. Need to have another way if first plan doesn't work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back