Buggered: challenge with calipers and brake pads

I added an impact wrench to my toolbox many years ago. If normal force doesn’t do it, I pull that thing out before I damage the head. Works like a charm.
Yeah, I should get one. I have an impact driver that you whack with a hammer but was afraid to use it because it drives inward and to the left or right depending on the setting. I figured that would probably put a crack in the caliper. I imagine an electric impact wrench only torques to the left or right.

Decided today was the day to install new brake pads on the front calipers. I thought getting the cotter pin out would be the hardest part. Ha ha, wrong. The 5mm Allen head retaining pin will not budge and worse, it is rounded/stripped out to a point where my Allen head sockets and wrenches can't get a grip and slip too much.

So, I need ideas. Yes, I soaked the pin head with WD40 penetrating spray multiple times. I've considered grinding down a larger Allen head socket and pounding it in the pin head but suspect it will eventually spin and not grip. Should I try drilling it out? ??? :(
When mine suffered the same problem I sent them to Turbo. Fixed. Replaced stock pins with titanium pins. Once in a while back them up a little and re tighten.

By the way, anyone know how/why my original thread title, "Buggered" was added to with the words, "Challenge With Calipers and Brake Pads"? Maybe I shouldn't be surprised in this day and age of cancel culture and political correctness.

Look up the meaning of the word by itself.... Kind of implies that happened to you without the addition of those words in the title. 🤔

Look up the meaning of the word by itself.... Kind of implies that happened to you without the addition of those words in the title. 🤔
Exactly, that is why I used it. A buggered pin and a buggered me. So by who and why was I edited?

Back