BST Wheels, Considering it

If ease of maintenance is your primary concern and you want to save a few grand compared to carbon fiber wheels, have you considered powder coating the stock wheels? Magnesium (albeit lighter than aluminum) sounds like the most maintenance intensive option to me.

I have considered it, and plan on getting my OEMs PCd once they are free of their current position holding up the bike :p Yes, it's certainly the cheapest route, I also want the wide tire selection that 18" rims bring so, BST is a logical choice in that regard.

If ease of maintenance is your primary concern and you want to save a few grand compared to carbon fiber wheels, have you considered powder coating the stock wheels? Magnesium (albeit lighter than aluminum) sounds like the most maintenance intensive option to me.
SAVE the money and go for the carbon fibre they are so easy to clean and look fantastic or just clean your stock wheels and polish them and then spray them with pledge to clean them then they wont corrode after that

Everything corrodes in hawaii, just a matter of time lol.

But yeah, will give BST a call tomorrow and get a set on order here shortly I think. I really do enjoy how much I've improved the steering already from stock, and if the CF rims make it even better, sweet. Plus they will be all matchy matchy with the carbondry items.

Last edited:
Everything corrodes in hawaii, just a matter of time lol.

But yeah, will give BST a call tomorrow and get a set on order here shortly I think. I really do enjoy how much I've improved the steering already from stock, and if the CF rims make it even better, sweet. Plus they will be all matchy matchy with the carbondry items.
Do you know the front and rear wheel+tire weight differences between the stock setup and the CF setup?

BTW, no one has tried the 130 front tire with 18" wheels. I sure as heck wouldn't want to test 'em after 1olbull's near demise with the 130 on his R3R sporting stock wheels - a geometry issue. He claimed that the lowered clearance caused him to hook some real estate with his dragging bits and that was almost the end of him. That plus the 130 will definitely feedback bad data to the ABS system causing it to malfunction - an engineered design issue.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've been looking at inflated diameter for the tires I'm considering trying to keep a similar relationship to stock between front and back to avoid the ABS thing.

Regarding ride height, with 14" wilbers out back as long as I stay with a 26" or greater inflated diameter front it will be at least as high as stock at the front of the motor if not slightly higher.

I do get my weight off the bike cornering, habbit from sport biking, and I don't even mentally think about it, its automatic, like leaning forward when I feel lots of torque to counter wheelies, just a habit.

Alpental, I remember reading something like 3lbs front, 7.5lbs rear, saved weight.

I am uncertain of the fitment details of these wheels, but have ridden two bikes with them on. They change the bike a lot, in a positive way. The steering and roadholding are greatly improved. There was some issues with fitment in the early days I think. Trirocket will know.
There was an offset issue with BST front, but only the first batch of ten we had made, all sorted after I then someone else drew attention to the problem. Nothing else needed just buy them chuck tyres on (carefully) I use cobra's, work fine for me, but although I like aceleration & speed I can't ride worth a sh*t so handling does not matter much, I fitted them cos I like them & I could.

Never heard of these before but the price is crazy scary. From what I could tell the ones fitted for ABS run about $4300 for the pair. I could do almost everything I could think of to my bike for the price of these wheels.

Well...... there is some that have it and there is some that do not...... I fall in the "do not" category. :(

Back