BREAKING NEWS:Harley Davidson closing a plant due to declining sales.

I test rode the new 114 Heritage Softail and loved it. It was smooth, with nice power, lightweight, nimble, comfortable with nice ergonomics and with an MSRP of about $21,500. The problem is that there is so much competition out there. The Heritage lives up to it's name.

I've visited the Indian dealership in Albany many times and with the exception of the scout, generally don't like what I see. They are stunningly beautiful high tech bikes but with a small television screen set in the dash which is just not for me. Color me as as dwindling member of the generation that is not enamored with high tech motorcycle electronics. And how about that. Our Rockets fit the contemporary low tech category. My blue on blue Touring is one of the most beautiful, high performance bikes I've ever owned and I don't have to worry about television screens going blank along with high tech failures when I'm riding in the middle of nowhere.

With me, it really is weight with the modern big touring bikes, like my Touring. I disagree that these are out of favor because many of the big name manufacturers are still carrying them. Yamaha just came out with a monster.

Color me as as dwindling member of the generation that is not enamored with high tech motorcycle electronics.
THAT THERE is why I doubt I will ever buy another "new" bike. And I have made my living from computers. Maybe that's why.

I understand why they fail. "Man" made them. And Man is seldom entirely right (in the head).

You old fuddy duddies ;)

I went for a ride into the mountains last weekend with about 60 other riders. Men, women, old, young, cruisers, sports bikes, adventure bikes, cafe racers, even an old hard tail shovelhead (which was glorious to behold and I don't even particularly like Harleys).

The young ones banged just as hard as any of them and apart from one bloke who had to be airlifted to hospital due to an unfortunate failure to adhere to Rule #1, the drama was kept to a minimum despite many hard chargers.

Much conversation was had. Many beverages were imbibed (oh my aching head) and none of us died.

I dunno what you lot are on about. The kids are alright.

:p

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Approbation is important just like pronunciation. ;):p:D

I'm sorry but if you're on a Vespa or one of those Honda or whatever town bikes with a 250cc you're not riding. You're pushing the envelope of being a self perpetuating hoax and metrosexual. Be gone with thee. I see the connection with millenials and Steve McQueen though.

I’m not living in the future, yet. I’ll enjoy my bikes and let the young-uns inherit the earth. I’ve only got 15 or so more years of riding so I’d better get to it.

My generation likes fossil fuel motors the people of the future get to decide what they like to enjoy in life, so be it.

My take on the new softail models is Yuk. The new Fatboy looks like a Honda. Apparently looking at new Harley sells I am not alone with this opinion. Yes they improved the suspension (about time) and made other upgrades but there not selling. The new Milwaukee eight engine is not all that compared to what other brands have to offer. There is a reason why Harley only shows torque not horse power in there ads. Truimph nailed it with the introduction of the New Bonneville's so have other company's such as the Indian scout. More bang for the buck. Nice looking and well running bikes that are in the budget of most young riders.
i do like HD's CVO Breakout a very nice looking motorcycle; however overpriced at 28k+

Back