Braking during cornering

My standard braking answer still applies here. Front brake is for power and back brake is for control. Also unless you practice something it is worthless in a real life situation.

On those rare occasions that I misjudge a corner (ya right) I find more counter steer and power are normally the answer. Most of us do not push the bikes to their full potential.

I call it the pucker factor.
I would say in about 80% of accidents in curves the bike is capable of more than the rider is.

Last nice day here in my area, spent about 3 hours riding with this concept in mind. For this bike I just don't think it's really all that feasible, lever is too far away for me to use it comfortably and constantly (even with the adjustment). And, like billyindiana said, most don't use the bike to the full potential and I think I'm one of em. Except for taking off like a bat out of hell a few times, I mostly kept it around 45 mph just enjoying the ride.

I find more counter steer and power are normally the answer. Most of us do not push the bikes to their full potential.

I call it the pucker factor.

That's what we got taught on a track training day too. It's purely a mind over matter thing and it's taken me a long time to practice this enough to the point where I'm now almost maybe comfortable possibly doing it. It seems counterintuitive "too fast, so turn harder & go faster", but it does work. You've just got to turn the screaming fear part of your brain off and listen to the calm logical part (yeah right!).

The only part the instructor said different was "drop your inside elbow".

Last edited:
What I have been trying is to enter turns with the Rear brake ON at various degrees. "Trail Braking" It depend of the type of turn. This way I can keep some throttle ON through the turn rather than throttle up from idle.
Now, checking the front brake while leaning :unsure:? My fingers are not long enough. Perhaps I need different levers.
On the Sportster, I entered a turn with the front brake on, hit dirt and skid @ mid corner. Its so sudden it is hard to adjust for that. :eek:

Another good video, Rick.
Or maybe not - I've just sat and watched this again. After a while I go MEGO (My Eyes Glaze Over) - I ride fastish - but geez.

That there is LEAN ANGLE!
The low, fixed mounted camera really shows how far these "gods of racing" can lean!
I shall never try this at home . . .

Ah ! You was one of da posh kids . ;)
I know, cause you only had an empty toilet roll and a mushy memory stick behind ya eyeball.

Spoilt ya was, we only had a pencil stub and the used toilet paper and it was mushy and useless for drawing on, so we had to make do with blobby poo and paper mache models spinning as they gurgled down the flushed toilet bowl.;):p:D:eek:

What I have been trying is to enter turns with the Rear brake ON at various degrees. "Trail Braking" It depend of the type of turn. This way I can keep some throttle ON through the turn rather than throttle up from idle.

Now, checking the front brake while leaning :unsure:? My fingers are not long enough. Perhaps I need different levers.

On the Sportster, I entered a turn with the front brake on, hit dirt and skid @ mid corner. Its so sudden it is hard to adjust for that. :eek:

I subscribe to MC Rider on Youtube and enjoy Kevin's informative videos. I don't think we should ever stop learning about motorcycle riding and for sure safety awareness. Cornering can be a deceptive challenge for new riders especially but even seasoned riders sometimes need a fresh look. I think Kevin actually has a tutorial on stopping quickly in a curve. Yep here it is.
It is a tricky maneuver at any rate. :cautious:

Learning the performance envelope of one's chosen motor is paramount, but even more so with the heft and rear wheel power that our beasts bring to the table.
Good onya' for recognizing the importance of that and proactively doing something about it, Captain Danvitt!!!:thumbsup:

OK Phil, you just nipped my butt & now I shall return the favor. :D
Most riders will never "learn the performance envelope" of their motor, & that is just fine. :thumbsup: :inlove
Doing so would require they push their motor to, and identified, its performance limits. :rolleyes: :roll: :p

Back