Braking during cornering

That's what we got taught on a track training day too. It's purely a mind over matter thing and it's taken me a long time to practice this enough to the point where I'm now almost maybe comfortable possibly doing it. It seems counterintuitive "too fast, so turn harder & go faster", but it does work. You've just got to turn the screaming fear part of your brain off and listen to the calm logical part (yeah right!).
The only part the instructor said different was "drop your inside elbow".

First off . . . What a GREAT thread!!!
I do buy into increasing the lean angle as many riders have no idea what this is for their motor.
I would qualify that at the apex, the throttle must be applied gradually as the brakes are released gradually.

I know, cause you only had an empty toilet roll and a mushy memory stick behind ya eyeball.

Spoilt ya was, we only had a pencil stub and the used toilet paper and it was mushy and useless for drawing on, so we had to make do with blobby poo and paper mache models spinning as they gurgled down the flushed toilet bowl.;):p:D:eek:
You know it . Wintertime were so cold we used to give grandad a stick of peppermints and all sit round him to keep warm ! :D

I love these threads. I really feel most on this site are above average riders to begin with. The Rocket demands we master many skills not necessary on smaller bikes. I have just finished my first riding season on this monster and even though I feel I have come a long way I can tell you by the wear on my rear tire there is still a lot of lean angle I have yet to explore. Kinda scary considering I think I have had her down pretty low.

There are many that admire the Rocket from afar not facing the fear of piloting and mastering this bike. I embrace the challenge every time I mount it. Threads like this make me that much better at what I love.

You know it . Wintertime were so cold we used to give grandad a stick of peppermints and all sit round him to keep warm ! :D
Until the Xmas Kangaroo came a'rootin' * or am I mixing and making up memories, videos or all three! ;):eek::D

*In Oz a root'in toot'in time is never had at the football game or involving cheering. Just sayin' ;):D

Last edited:
lizard people can do this, humans can not
I must be of mixed parentage. The Lizard bit slows in the cold.

I can still have a day when I am 100% focused. When I still had sports bikes I was fast on those days.
These days - I attempt to use the Guzzi on those special days. You can use the linked brakes in a corner with no qualms.

The reverse is also true.

Yep I took one of these down the steepest hill in town as a 5 year old and decided I need to increase my skill level - after I crashed and burned big time a number of times :(:eek:

Appears it was Moore St just around the corner from home in Freeling St. A lot rougher verge and asphalt in those days I can assure you!

Google Maps

Google Maps

upload_2017-12-5_18-44-47.jpeg

I used to dream of an aero upgrade with tassled streamers on the bar ends

It never happened ;):(:D

upload_2017-12-5_18-46-7.jpeg

Then my 6yr old thoughts turned to 2 wheelers with lights and streamers ;):D:roll::roll::roll:

I ended up with an occasional loan of my older sister's 26" step-through ladies bike but used to ride standing on the pedals (the seat was out of my reach) 4-5 miles out of town, drinking out of roadside puddles as required and catching freshwater crawfish on locals farms dams. Life was different then in the country town of Naracoorte South Australia. The great thing was the local pool over an couple of acres in size with concrete edges and a large sand beach fed by the creek and with a diving tower in the middle. Still there I believe. Needl;ess to say sunburn, peeling skin and holes in my shoulders from sunburn were part of my usual summer to the age of 8-9 when we moved to the Big Smoke Magill in Adelaide.

Wow 50 years on it is still there and still only 4-500 metre from home at 57 Freeling St where I burnt down my first shed lighting up my sister's Noddy book in the corner. Boy was I popular!;):D

Photos here are great Google Maps

Last edited:
Scraping the pegs is as far as I am willing to go. I know I can get away with that sort of lean and not start touching the pipes. Maybe if I were to go away from the standard Metzlers I might go further, but who knows

Back