brakes & the bleeding saga

albertaduke

former airline pilot without the big bucks
Ride
2021 rocket3 GT
as I bled the brakes ( front only as I do use the rear so sparingly ) I could not get the crisp bite on the pads as I am used to feel before so i followed all the advises given to me from more mechanically inclined members yet still no joy next step was to buy a new set of pads the double HH sintered kind to replace the new carbon ceramics pads I just install thinking maybe the pads are the culprit after all ...
but before doing that I just thought of bleeding front brakes again .. and I just saw small amount of air bubbles popping out in the clear line when I squeezed the lever ..this is the third time I have seen bubbles coming out when checking the system after riding
my view on bleeding is now different and I will take 5 mn to quickly bleed every day before riding from home till no more bubbles are present in the caliper/lines . I would suggest the following for those who have bleeding problems like I have despite all the techniques used to get rid of air in the line if you still have mush feeling when squeezing the lever and after having done all you can on that day go and ride , then tap the brake caliper gently next day before you ride and bleed the line just a bit 10 mn it is all that take , you might be surprised to see some air bubbling out for several days AFTER you originally bled the system, seems the way the brakes/lines system is designed , air stay trapped much longer in some dark little corners of the lines/caliper or some other nook and crannies but riding dislodge those reticent bubbles a bit and each time you do the bleeding , the lever will feel a bit crispier till eventually all air will be removed in the system..
another solution to solve this annoying problem and maybe clear the mushiness known for the ABS brakes on the rocket.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Good on you for finding something that works for you -- though uncomfortably disquieting.

After more than a century of experience with hydraulics on moving vehicles, I'm bothered that our Rockets and mandatory brake bleeding after the system is open would be anything other than deterministic.

I have been considering the HEL dual front line system to get rid of the splitter box and suction points. Not sure it will work with an ABS system. Need to sit, look at it and contemplate how it all works as a unit.

ok this is for you motul snobs-i see they are both 10w-40 but 7100 or 300v which one?

I have been considering the HEL dual front line system to get rid of the splitter box and suction points. Not sure it will work with an ABS system. Need to sit, look at it and contemplate how it all works as a unit.

No one makes a good ABS compatible replacement kit off the shelf. There’s a good reason though. The stock lines are steel braided, equal length, and very good.

Carbon and Organic pads are not known for their initial bite, and never will be, it’s the nature of the material.

Bite comes from pad material coefficient of friction when cold/cool, air free brake lines, and master cylinder ratio. The R3 has a big master cylinder.

Once bled fully, I hope yours behave right @albertaduke!

I'm going to reverse bleeding with the expectation of wonderment!
Someone here suggested reverse bleed requires NO Dealer Tool to bleed the ECU.
Anyone know if that is a fact?

I'm going to reverse bleeding with the expectation of wonderment!
Someone here suggested reverse bleed requires NO Dealer Tool to bleed the ECU.
Anyone know if that is a fact?

What are you bleeding with the dealer tool? TuneECU can cycle the abs system now.

What are you bleeding with the dealer tool? TuneECU can cycle the abs system now.

Gratitude.
Have used the Dealer tool for years.
Guess I shall have to check out the latest Tune ECU.

No one makes a good ABS compatible replacement kit off the shelf. There’s a good reason though. The stock lines are steel braided, equal length, and very good.

Carbon and Organic pads are not known for their initial bite, and never will be, it’s the nature of the material.

Bite comes from pad material coefficient of friction when cold/cool, air free brake lines, and master cylinder ratio. The R3 has a big master cylinder.

Once bled fully, I hope yours behave right @albertaduke!

Hel makes a kit > Triumph Rocket III Roadster ABS (2011-2013)

My thoughts are not about increasing brake line durability or braking performance. More along the lines of ridding my rocket of the unneeded hose routing and splits. Again, something I just need to sit and look at before I make up my mind... If the rocket doesn't end up at the KTM dealer first.

Hel makes a kit > Triumph Rocket III Roadster ABS (2011-2013)

My thoughts are not about increasing brake line durability or braking performance. More along the lines of ridding my rocket of the unneeded hose routing and splits. Again, something I just need to sit and look at before I make up my mind... If the rocket doesn't end up at the KTM dealer first.

KTM super duke R???

Back