Well tha

when I read your first reply my mind went to the bridge and your captain calling you and saying ( warp find out why we don’t have hot water and you answering saying( my first guess captain is were out of coal sir

" Warp speed, Scotty"

" But captain, we're almost out of coal, and the boilers will nae take it"

I just changed out my first set at 17k miles on my Roadster. Rear was GONE, fronts still had a little bit of life. Went with EBC HH from flipmeister. Only place I found them slightly cheaper was Amazon, but I prefer to support a fellow rider (he sells out of his house on the side).

I use the cheapest pads. Pads are cheap, rotors are expensive. Anyone that separates your pads to replace a tyre will injure the pads. I remove the pads before I remove the wheel and replace the wheel and then insert the pads. Nobody will do that.

IMG_0587.JPG
I'm just curious but what do you mean by separating the pads? I unbolt the rotors, swing them back and remove the wheel, replace the tire and swing the rotor (with pads still installed) and I've had no problems at all ever. However, I'm in the habit of replacing the pads on motorcycles when I replace the tires but I've removed the wheels on motorcycles including my R3T without removing the pads from the rotors with absolutely no problems at all, let alone "injuring" them. You just have to compress the pads into the calipers a bit. This is the same procedure done when doing brake jobs on any vehicle - cars, trucks, etc. In fact, in almost all cases, you have to remove the pads after you've removed the calipers. You can, of course, remove the pads on the Rocket brakes without removing the calipers but I see no reason for doing that unless you are simply replacing the pads. Even so, I rather swing the calipers back to remove and reinstall them. I've done so many brake jobs in the last 54 years (when I turned 16 and bought my first car and motorcycle) that I couldn't count them and I've never damaged a single pad. I just did a brake job on my F150 and, like most vehicles, you have to swing the caliper back to replace the pads. No problem. On the other hand, many of those older vehicles had drum brakes. Even my 1969 Bonneville had drum brakes. If you've damaged pads by reinstalling the calipers with the pads already installed in them (if that's what you're talking about), I suspect that you may be doing something wrong. Could you possibly have not compressed the caliper pistons?

Sorry if I'm misinterpeting your post but I became curious when I read it.

I'm just curious but what do you mean by separating the pads? I unbolt the rotors, swing them back and remove the wheel, replace the tire and swing the rotor (with pads still installed) and I've had no problems at all ever. However, I'm in the habit of replacing the pads on motorcycles when I replace the tires but I've removed the wheels on motorcycles including my R3T without removing the pads from the rotors with absolutely no problems at all, let alone "injuring" them. You just have to compress the pads into the calipers a bit. This is the same procedure done when doing brake jobs on any vehicle - cars, trucks, etc. In fact, in almost all cases, you have to remove the pads after you've removed the calipers. You can, of course, remove the pads on the Rocket brakes without removing the calipers but I see no reason for doing that unless you are simply replacing the pads. Even so, I rather swing the calipers back to remove and reinstall them. I've done so many brake jobs in the last 54 years (when I turned 16 and bought my first car and motorcycle) that I couldn't count them and I've never damaged a single pad. I just did a brake job on my F150 and, like most vehicles, you have to swing the caliper back to replace the pads. No problem. On the other hand, many of those older vehicles had drum brakes. Even my 1969 Bonneville had drum brakes. If you've damaged pads by reinstalling the calipers with the pads already installed in them (if that's what you're talking about), I suspect that you may be doing something wrong. Could you possibly have not compressed the caliper pistons?

Sorry if I'm misinterpeting your post but I became curious when I read it.

I'm just curious but what do you mean by separating the pads? I unbolt the rotors, swing them back and remove the wheel, replace the tire and swing the rotor (with pads still installed) and I've had no problems at all ever.

"You just have to compress the pads into the calipers a bit."
You are careful with whatever tool you use to insert between the bad and the disc, hence never had a problem. Not that a ding in the pad surface of leading edge of the pad is serious but, if I can avoid it it's more better for me. Just like contamination with a greasy rag. The bike will stop bit it is not OK to do that.

At the time the caliper is off I Simple-Green hard-brush clean the caliper with the pads off and pistons out until I see shiny piston surfaces before I sit them down all the way. Also clean the pads if, they are going back on. Then, replace the tyre, slap the calipers on, grease the pad surfaces to avoid noises. Then sit the pads and secure them. In the back, I remove the pads first thing if the tyre is coming off. Clean thoroughly as described before re-assembly.

For me, perfect single finger stopping power is a must. Calipers that that grip and release the pads well, to avoid a hot disc are a must. Ask our Group-Member in India what happens when meticulous brake maintenance is not done.

Recently I had my clutch and throttle cables lubed by my techs. What a difference! Small details, big improvements. For me these small exercises make my motorcycling even more fun than it already is.

Back