BMW Rolls Out Its New R 18 Cruiser - Adventure Rider

Interesting, almost humorous, the way they mention, but don’t get too excited about, 91hp and 150Nm. Whole thing’s a bit of a giggle in my opinion.

Kinda like the idea of easy conversion to different styles. BMW is way ahead of Triumph with the options game.

The new bike is a tribute to the R5 and if you look at the photos you can see the familial resemblance. That said, horsepower and torque numbers weren't the goal. Its not a superbike nor is it a muscle cruiser. BMW is very capable of building virtually anything they want. Not sure what the market will be for something like this, but just the fact that they built it is pretty cool.

BMW Motorrad unveils R 18 cruiser with 1.8-liter Big Boxer engine

I’m sure you’re right Harry. It was the launch video rather than the bike I was referring to. Can’t see too many people trading in their Harleys though, but it could well kill the Bobber/Speedmaster. If a revamped Thunderbird does come out it will need to be a lot cooler than the last one.

Yeah, BMW's always been the king of oversell. They still call their cars the Ultimate Driving Machine. I have to watch out for Hyundais in my 335i. Never quite sure what the TBird wanted to be. Like the new BMW, it could never hope to attract Harley riders, not the riding position big parallel twin riders would be looking for, and then sitting next to it was the R3.

Back