Agree mate , the new 1200GS models wouldn't handle half what i put my GS's through. Like you said it's all about weight loss at the detriment of strength and durability.
and unfortunitly it is not just frame strenght we are talking about either, to stay competive (power to weight) against the likes of KTM and the new Triumph Tiger and a hord of Jappers, they shaved weight in the engine as well as frame and driveline:rolleyes:

BMW should probably take a page out of Triumph's book and produce different models of the R 1200 GS. My Tiger 1050 is a great bike, but I would never take it off road, nor would most people I know that own them. It's classified as a "Dual Sport", or whatever, but I think it's actually closer to the "Sport Touring" genre. Then, Triumph came out with the 800 in both street and off road versions and now they have the Explorer. I've not spent much time on either, but both the 800 XC and the Explorer 1200 *appear* to be much better suited to off road (fire trail type stuff) than my 1050.

and unfortunitly it is not just frame strenght we are talking about either, to stay competive (power to weight) against the likes of KTM and the new Triumph Tiger and a hord of Jappers, they shaved weight in the engine as well as frame and driveline:rolleyes:

OK, maybe they have started compromising too much. Still think the "j" word is a bit harsh but I see what you mean. :)

They're not junk. If they're junk, then the same can be said for the Rocket III as it certainly has its share of issues; more so than any other bike I've ever owned. Just look at the current threads:

- Transmission issues
- Idle problem
- Electronic issues

Etc...

Triumph did the same thing with the Tiger as BMW did with the GS. The older Tigers (995s) were much more off road capable than the redesigned Tiger (beginning in '07). I just think Triumph (and BMW) adjusted the designs to appeal to a larger audience by making them more street friendly, especially the Tiger. As I stated earlier, the Tiger 1050 is really closer to a sport touring than a dual purpose at this point. Mine has been perfect, not a single issue in 4 years of ownership.

Back