bike is stalling and coughing

rash_powder

Supercharged
Ride
2008 Triumph Rocket III Touring
Last night the wife and I went for a scoot around town and the local area. A large portion of the ride was a 'Sunday Drive' so 15mph in first gear. The bike ran fine as always, but when I came to a stop it started stalling.

After about 30 minutes the neutral light stayed on no matter the gear I was in. This is when things really started going bad. It then would miss and cough while on throttle and die when off. Not every time, but quite a few times at stops and slow downs it would die.

I am running triple K&Ns, TORS, Hanso v2 tune, and a Power Commander 5 w/ auto-tune and a zero map loaded.

Could this be the gear selection switch failing? Or have I something else wrong? The switch does have a spot on the top where oil has been leaking, not forming a drip, but making a spot dust sticks too. I have also read of a problem with older ECU maps at about 2000rpm. Could this be that?

Thanks guys!!!

for the neutral light to stay on all the time
either the gear position switch is bad or the wiring (short to ground) going back to ecu
to check make sure it is still light all the time then disconnect the gear position switch if the neutral light goes out then trouble is bad gear position switch.
and i am pretty sure if the light stays on it runs bad hth

After a few miles last night the neutral indicator went out and the bike did seem to run better, but I still experienced the engine dieing at idle.

I got my tune ecu installed on my new laptop and checked and all i could find for codes was a canbus failure. I cleared all the codes and hopefully whatever doesn't recur. If it does, has anyone a link to a good free OBDII reader i could use to read the ECU codes?

I AM THINKING THAT U SHOULD BE ABLE TO CHECK WHAT GEAR IT IS IN WITH THE TUNECU (SORry caps)
if it is not showing what gear it is in is just as bad as showing neutral all the time.
around here auto zone reads codes for free.
i would imagine a small code reader that read and cleared codes would be fine.

I would try crimping your coil lead wires. And see if that's fixes your problem if not it's possibly a gas filter maybe bad

I reset the adaptives and did the 12 minute tune to reset the TPS idle point. Hopefully that cures most of the trouble. If it continues I will have a new gear switch ordered and install that.

Thanks everyone!

Back