Bigern2300's photos

where?

Posted some new photos of what was actually damaged in my transmission shifter assembly. The descriptions can be kind of confusing if you don't actually see how it works. But give it a look anyways in the members album. Thanks, Bigern.

Can you give a link to WHERE you posted them?

Thanks.

Pictures 14 and 15 show the bolt that is common to come loose and back out causing loss of shifter function. Picutre 3 shown the altenator rotor which requires a special puller to remove. Don't anyone fool themselves into thinking you can remove it with an run of the mill shop puller. The correct tool is much cheaper than replacing that rotor!

Pictures 14 and 15 show the bolt that is common to come loose and back out causing loss of shifter function. Picutre 3 shown the altenator rotor which requires a special puller to remove. Don't anyone fool themselves into thinking you can remove it with an run of the mill shop puller. The correct tool is much cheaper than replacing that rotor!

Thanks. I found those photos earlier today and based on the exploded drawings in the shop manual I figured that was the culprit.

A little background on me........... I am a machine designer for going on 33 years now. I am VERY surprised that there is no means of mechanically locking that bolt in place. Something like a bent tab washer woud ensure that once installed it would never back out whether Loctite was applied or not. Shame on Triumph for overlooking such a simple solution to what seems to be a problem waiting to happen on every Rocket III built to date.

Loctite is a wonderful product, but like any tool if the instructions are not followed it doesn't work very well. Probably none of the amatuer mechanics do it, but there is supposed to be a primer applied prior to applying the threadlocker. I'd bet that Triumph does not apply Loctite and further that if they do, they do not follow proper procedure regarding cleaning and priming the threaded fasteners when installing. That kind of thing takes time and people are generally shortsighted and can not see the expense down the line of not taking the time to do the job right the first time.

Don't get me started......... LOL!!

Last edited:
Back