Best Triumph for beginning rider?

wilbur-t

Top Fuel
My oldest son, Alston, just turned 21, and wants to get a bike of his own. He has signed up to take the motorcycle safety course, and he wants a Triumph. I'm trying to steer him towards a used one, [He keeps going to the dealer and looking at the speedmaster.] but I think that a thunderbird from the late 90's might be just the ticket.

Any thoughts?:confused:

So Alston @ 21 would rather have a light cruiser over a crouch rocket......interesting!

I get the impression Alston is, to a certain degree, dependent on your input, either financially or he just wants Dad to be a player in the purchase. At 21 he's fully legal to choose what he wants as long as he can afford it or finance it without Dad's help(not sure why I added this sentence so forgive me if it comes across wrong).

This will probably be one of many bikes he will own, so until he gets proficient, I'd get an easy and forgiving bike to start on. I like your choice(Thunderbird) though and think you have thought this thru already. If he likes the Speedmaster already, selling him on the Thunderbird should be cake, unless he REALLY prefers the layed back position.

If it were me.. (and it isn't:D) I would let him get want he likes, up to a certain extent. You don't want to put him on something that he doesn't like all that much, if you do he will always be looking for a way to get rid of it. This is supposed to be about fun. It always seemed like if I really couldn't afford something that I would find a way to do it. That makes it even more sweet when you pull it off...

Just my 2 cents.... I'm not too terribly much older than your son, I am 30, and at 23 years old I bought my first street bike a 1970 Bonneville. It took me with my father's help (and Tom's help too) about 6 months to restore. My father tried to sway me to get something 'modern' but I really wanted a vintage Brit bike. So I agree with Tom let him choose what he wants. Evidentially there is something that appeals to him about that bike and if he's riding around on a different bike he'll be thinking about riding the Speedmaster. His tastes will change as he gets older and becomes a more experienced rider. Heck he may decide riding is not for him and park it. Either way probably a good idea to buy used however I never have used logic or sound reasoning when deciding to purchase a bike. :D

Most importantly though credit to you wilbur-t for being involved in selecting a bike with him and making sure he learns some safe riding habits.

A couple of years ago, I had a friend who had not ridden in a long time. I told him to go out and look around at everything that he liked as far as looks go. And then, sit on them. To see what felt right for him, what felt comfortable, and natural for him. He did, and found one that was right for him at the time. He loved it, eventually trading up for something bigger, more powerful.
So I'd have him go out and see what feels right to him. As far as Triumphs go, the Bonneville line has many different models, and would be a great bike to really get to learn on, all would be very easy to manage, and have enough power not to get bored with.

Pat.

Smileys

It's gotta make you smile. If you put him on a bike he doesn't want, he won't enjoy it as much. I know many 21 y/olds around here that are on hyabusas and GSXRs, so count your blessings. At around 900ccs and solid performance, I like the speedmaster. Plus, it is soooo cool! Believe me, he can handle it. At 19 I bought a honda intercepter as my first bike (other than a moped in middle school). That was back before safety courses and you could get your endorsement by just asking for it. I can not believe I lived this long. Anyway, it's gotta make you smile. That doesn't mean you can't find something else that will make him smile; but I don't think the speedmaster is of the table as a first bike. Especially if it fits him. :) :)

I have to agree let him choose for himself having said that the T/Bird is a better bike i have had both My daughter is 23 and wanted a pink speed tripple i tried to talk her out of it and get something a bit less aggressive i had no luck there she had the pink S3 and loves it

I'd go for a used Bonnie. The essence of motorcyclin'. A bit less lethargic engine-wise than the feet-forward Speed(?) Master. And far more nimble in twisties. T'bird as runner-up. But it causes early addiction to tri-cylinder engines which may or may not be deisrable for a beginner. Best. Jamie. Triumph Rocket III.

T'bird as runner-up. But it causes early addiction to tri-cylinder engines which may or may not be deisrable for a beginner

You may be right, Jamie. I am a three cylinder junkie, that's probably why I like the t'bird.:D

On the other hand, I'm trying to get him to think of used bikes because of costs, for the bike and for the insurance.

Back