Battery Upgrade

Installed my PC625 Today.

This is how I did it. This is not to imply that this same procdure will work for you, this is just how I did it.

I started with taking the stock battery out. Obviously.

The PC625 is actually 1/4" wider and about 1/2" taller than the stock battery. You do not need to do a lot of modification to the stock battery box, but to do it right, you do have to remove the battery box. I ended up not having to cut any metal, I simply removed the battery box and bent the front bottom lid flat with the bottom, and the rear lip just a little bit back so that the battery sat flush on the bottom. I used the same rubber bottom mat.

Here is a comparison of the two batteries side by side.

Here is what the battery box looks like after it is out. It has numerous attachment points, but the whole job took only about an hour and a half.

Here is what the battery box looks like after it is back in. Note the front lip on the bottom is bent down.

And here it is all back together. The tools no longer fit, but the stock air ram has plenty of clearance ( I know, I need to get rid of all that stock air intake and filter crap, maybe next week), and there is still plenty of room for the "Important" papers.

I have noticed a marked improvement in starting and performance.

Have a great ride and be safe out there !

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll see if I can answer them for you.

And here are some PC625 Specs.

Here are some PC625 and other "Possible Fit" specs.

O yes, and here is my air horn install. Now grandma MOVES out of the way !

Later......

Another Plus

Another plus about this battery replacement is that if ever I am on the road stuck with a battery problem, I am not limited to the stock size if the only replacement I can find is a bit bigger.

Next Time I'll Do It

Mitch..... Again I'm a day late and several dollars short. I recently had the dealer put in a new battery just like the OEM. It seems to work fine for now....especially when I leave it on the battery tender during those 3 week periods when I can't ride.

Thanks for the slide show and instructions. I wish all the modifications could be displayed that way. It would make it a lot easier for those of use who are tool challenged.

Odyssey PC-545MJ

After about 18 months, my OEM battery didn't have the guts to fire up the engine if I had to crank for any more than about 5 seconds or 2 tries.

Replaced with exact OEM Yuasa YTX20L-BS and bought an automatic 3 stage charger. Kept it on float charge every night. Battery worked fine for about 5 months and then it was back to the same old sluggish starts. Starter would engage and hesitate for about half a second until the engine would start to turn over - - even when the battery was fully charged. By that time, the battery voltage is now too low to reliably power the ECU and injectors. You're toast and stranded without a jump start. Not a good feeling in BFE hill country.

I liked the Odyssey AGMs but didn't want to lose my tool kit with the PC-625 mod. Decided to go with the PC-545MJ. PERFECT fit with no mods to the battery box! The metal jacket gives the battery a higher temperature rating also - - good thing since it's above the cat box.

Dropped in the new battery, bolted it right up and whoo hoo! Instant start. Now that's more like it. CCA is not the full story - - With the Odyssey batteries, the 5 second pulse is what gives the starting power our 1/3 viper motors need to get going.

Didn't see anybody else try this battery, so I'll report on its performance.

Odyssey PC545MJ

Sad fact is, I paid $30 round trip in gas to drive across Houston to pick one up at Batteries Plus.

battery

this isn't really relative to us b/c it's so expensive now. (or me anyway!). but check out this new NASA -future consumer battery. --google---- matt hotch--(big custom builder in states) .look for battery video. they pulled plug wires and almost burned up starter cranking with this little lightweight battery. beyond lithium i think. ---john

..a big shout out of thanks to all who contributed to this thread..just did the mod and it seems to have been well worth the effort.. a big pita to remove the battery box, but now big bertha cranks over like she should..thanks hombre, mitchcpc for the invaluable pictorial, and flipmeister for the battery and charger info..budman..

Back