Battery Upgrade

Thanks Mitch, awsome details on cramming in a battery that gets the job done. I just ordered the PC625 from the battery store. I'm very impressed with their prices, nice call Hombre.:)

Last edited:
Been running the PC-625 for a while and IMO it likes to be hit with a much harder than the R3's charging system gives it. Both Brembo and I experienced similar starting problems some 6 months after installation. Mine was cured by occasionally topping up the PC-625 with an Odyssey Ultimizer charger. The Ultimizer is one of the few chargers that gives this battery the current it requires.

Something to think about, before you end up cursing me in some parking lot. :eek:

Hombre,

We've been running an Odyssey battery in our race car for the last year. We've been experiencing cranking issues even though the car has been kept on a Battery Tender. In your opinion is the Battery Tender insufficient for charging an Odyssey battery?

Since I'm considering an Odyssey battery for my Rocket, it sounds like I may need to get two new chargers.

Thanks

I can only tell you that my "normal" charger (brand unknown) didn't properly charge the PC-625. Odyssey batteries like a lot of current, no problems with the Ultimizer. There are several different models, the smaller ones are very affordable.

Just ordered a PC625. Tired of wanting to ride and not having enough electrical to accommodate the ship. Just saw the note about proper 625 charging. Do I need a special charger?!? Any recommendations!?!?

I've been using the 545 for over a year now and just started having cranking trouble. I always used a trickle charger, but after reading this I'm trying a higher amp charger. I just had the Rocket in because the speedo fried. Does anyone think because of low amps?....The Odessey made a big difference last winter as I try to ride as long as no snow or ice is on the road. This year we have a lot of both so it's limited my riding. Love these sites.

I have this little Black & Decker model that will charge at 2/4/6 amps and step down as needed through the charge cycle. It looks a lot like the Odyssey OMAX-6A-1B model.

Black & Decker Power Tools It's about $30.

For the PC625, should I be hitting it with the 6 amp shot every once in a while?

Last edited:
Back