Battery Charging System 2020 R3 GT /R

My garage is remote to the house and does not have power. I got a battery pack with an ac inverter - I bought the triumph optimiser off the accessories list and plug that into the battery pack. Seems to work fine. I only really need it if I’m not riding for a while as the tracker/alarm system does drain the battery. On the plus side, the monitoring system also emails me to tell me when it’s getting low and needs a run out. On a separate note, I also got the ‘reolink’ camera. Runs off battery, pir movement detector, infra red, and gsm connected. If anyone opens the garage door it sets an alarm on my phone. I can also click on the app and see inside the garage, sound an alarm and so on. Vodafone do a really good deal for a m2m SIM card for just 5 pounds a month.

Well it's 2020 and my new 2020 Rocket 3 GT is downstairs in the underground parking lot of my condo, where its been since February. For context, I live in Toronto and it's 3C out today (18-APRIL). Double digit temperatures are not expected until mid-May (hoping for sooner but that's the reality of it). And with a COVID-19 self-isolation policy in effect until May 12th, I may not get to ride it until then...

The question to my R3 Captains is if I start the bike and let it idle, will the battery charge or did I just consume energy from the battery that won't be replenished until I get out of the road. If so, does it charge when I'm in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc., and at what RPM?

Putting the battery on a trickle charger is easy enough but if I could avoid it, it would be my preference.

Follow-on question, is the method that Triumph uses, standard across the motorcycle industry? Is it the same for Honda, Harley, BMW, etc.?
I've got my new Rocket TFC on the standard triumph battery conditioner. Various electronic devices will flatten the battery eventually while on standby, (alarm etc) and the battery conditioner looks after the battery fine. Had the same one on my previous Rocket X and never let me down. Same battery from 2015 until I sold it in February this year. Also, with a "Triumph" battery conditioner it would meet all guarantee criteria should it fail! They're not expensive either!

Back