Battery Charging System 2020 R3 GT /R

technoguppy

Supercharged
Ride
2020 Rocket 3 GT
Well it's 2020 and my new 2020 Rocket 3 GT is downstairs in the underground parking lot of my condo, where its been since February. For context, I live in Toronto and it's 3C out today (18-APRIL). Double digit temperatures are not expected until mid-May (hoping for sooner but that's the reality of it). And with a COVID-19 self-isolation policy in effect until May 12th, I may not get to ride it until then...

The question to my R3 Captains is if I start the bike and let it idle, will the battery charge or did I just consume energy from the battery that won't be replenished until I get out of the road. If so, does it charge when I'm in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc., and at what RPM?

Putting the battery on a trickle charger is easy enough but if I could avoid it, it would be my preference.

Follow-on question, is the method that Triumph uses, standard across the motorcycle industry? Is it the same for Honda, Harley, BMW, etc.?

3C = 37F, so... double digits.

All kidding aside brother, when I did the test ride on the bikes a few months ago, I asked about charging and my dealer had already installed the umbilical cord on each of their bikes. From what I gathered then, a normal trickle charger should work for your bike just like the others, unless you put a lithium battery in it. The OEM battery will be fine.

By the way, your GT comes standard with heated grips, just sayin...

I don't believe letting it idle will charge your battery and if it does it won't be much. I think it's a good to idle it a few times a month to get the fluids in your Rocket moving and lubing. In my limited opinion a good 30 minute ride will keep your battery charged if you can do that once a week or even once every two weeks that would be optimal. The best way (in your climate) is the battery tender even though it may be a pain. It's a new bike and a new battery so it should be fine for now but as it ages a battery tender is a must. My opinion only:thumbsup:

3C = 37F, so... double digits.

All kidding aside brother, when I did the test ride on the bikes a few months ago, I asked about charging and my dealer had already installed the umbilical cord on each of their bikes. From what I gathered then, a normal trickle charger should work for your bike just like the others, unless you put a lithium battery in it. The OEM battery will be fine.

By the way, your GT comes standard with heated grips, just sayin...

It does? Yes I knew that... ;)

Unfortunately it doesn't come with is a "Get outta jail free" card from the police and the by-law officers, otherwise I'd be out there. Although if I keep looking, there might a Triumph Sticker somewhere on it that says that!! Lord knows there were a lot of them!!

I've got the standard lead-acid battery that came with it. I used to have a Lithium battery in my 2014 Rocket III Roadster but found that if the temp dropped below 15C overnight it would struggle to start (if at all). I went back to a lead-acid in that bike too. Works best for my situation. I've got that battery on a trickle charger as I am hoping to sell it this season.

Probably just do as Mighty Mouse suggests, put in on the trickle charger. After it warms up outside, I should have no issues get out on it regularly (provided we're past this C-19 thing).

they aren't bothering us when out riding, as long we are not running around in packs it seems to be all good, now get the bike out, turn on the grips, and go play :)

From what i've been told, by car and MC mechanics/experts. Don't start the bike during the off season, a car engine produce as much water as it consumes fuel during warmup to full operating temperature (after hearing that i have noticed water spitting, and even pouring out of the tailpipe of the car in front of me in ques) Also, my local Yamaha dealer says they get a lot of charged to death batteries every spring and recommend a trickle charge once or twice during the winter.
The last two winters, 2018-19 and 2019-20 i charged the battery twice each winter and didn't start the enging until it was time to start ridning regularily.
Not saying this is the be all end all way to do it, but i do trust people who knows a lot better/more than me :)

I use a trickle charger on my bikes...have done for some time...if the battery is allowed to run down..then charged up..then run down...then charged again it will shorten the life of said battery. In saying that, i have never had a time where i didnt ride the bike for months on end so it may be different in that case.?..
Re riding the bike when in lockdown..dont. Simple reason is, if you have trouble of any kind and need assistance you will be wishing you had stayed home...just be patient.

I use a trickle charger on my bikes...have done for some time...if the battery is allowed to run down..then charged up..then run down...then charged again it will shorten the life of said battery. In saying that, i have never had a time where i didnt ride the bike for months on end so it may be different in that case.?..
Re riding the bike when in lockdown..dont. Simple reason is, if you have trouble of any kind and need assistance you will be wishing you had stayed home...just be patient.

Sage words of advice. Plenty of summer to come, no need to rush it all things considered. Just means I should savour it more when it does finally arrive!

Back