Backing down the driveway ?

So, I have test ridden a Rocket . . . sweet machine.

I have the financing and a reasonable price.

My last hurdle is psychological (aren't they always).

My humble home in the 'burbs sits atop a slight rise, with a sloping 30' driveway to the sidewalk, then an awkward (typical) curb ramp that intersects the asphalt and crown of of the road.

The garage is a small, one-car affair, and only my bikes fit in there. To go in, I ride up the driveway and close the garage door. To leave again, I must back the bike down the driveway, and either cut the corner to the flat sidewalk (how I dropped the ST) or continue back and on to the street. The ST being a "tall" bike is problematic in that when going to the street, at one point my feet cannot touch the ground.

You see where this is leading.

With the Rocket's mass, and at least one reviewer writing, "This bike puts a premium on one's parking . . . choose parking wisely", I'm concerned about my ability to walk the Rocket down the driveway backwards, to a point where I may motor forward.

Your thoughts most appreciated.

Thank you.
I have the exact same setup. You'll get used to it. Heck sometimes my feet barely touch the concrete as I roll backwards. I worry more about the people who think my street is the dragstrip.

This is my old thread - first ride on the Rocket 17 August 2014.

Only six years later, I find I no longer have use for the dolly.

Should anyone want one, mine is available free for local pickup, or shipping ($$$).

I found the dolly (no longer made) was NOT up to their claims of 1,200 pounds. I suspect it would work for a Roadster or other bike.

Big wheels roll nicely, and have locks.

So, I have test ridden a Rocket . . . sweet machine.

I have the financing and a reasonable price.

My last hurdle is psychological (aren't they always).

My humble home in the 'burbs sits atop a slight rise, with a sloping 30' driveway to the sidewalk, then an awkward (typical) curb ramp that intersects the asphalt and crown of of the road.

The garage is a small, one-car affair, and only my bikes fit in there. To go in, I ride up the driveway and close the garage door. To leave again, I must back the bike down the driveway, and either cut the corner to the flat sidewalk (how I dropped the ST) or continue back and on to the street. The ST being a "tall" bike is problematic in that when going to the street, at one point my feet cannot touch the ground.

You see where this is leading.

With the Rocket's mass, and at least one reviewer writing, "This bike puts a premium on one's parking . . . choose parking wisely", I'm concerned about my ability to walk the Rocket down the driveway backwards, to a point where I may motor forward.

Your thoughts most appreciated.

Thank you.
i bet youre gonna love it :roll:

Back