Backing down the driveway ?

Joesmoe

IMOKUR2
Ride
Triumph: 2014 Rocket III Touring
So, I have test ridden a Rocket . . . sweet machine.

I have the financing and a reasonable price.

My last hurdle is psychological (aren't they always).

My humble home in the 'burbs sits atop a slight rise, with a sloping 30' driveway to the sidewalk, then an awkward (typical) curb ramp that intersects the asphalt and crown of of the road.

The garage is a small, one-car affair, and only my bikes fit in there. To go in, I ride up the driveway and close the garage door. To leave again, I must back the bike down the driveway, and either cut the corner to the flat sidewalk (how I dropped the ST) or continue back and on to the street. The ST being a "tall" bike is problematic in that when going to the street, at one point my feet cannot touch the ground.

You see where this is leading.

With the Rocket's mass, and at least one reviewer writing, "This bike puts a premium on one's parking . . . choose parking wisely", I'm concerned about my ability to walk the Rocket down the driveway backwards, to a point where I may motor forward.

Your thoughts most appreciated.

Thank you.

So, I have test ridden a Rocket . . . sweet machine.

I have the financing and a reasonable price.

My last hurdle is psychological (aren't they always).

My humble home in the 'burbs sits atop a slight rise, with a sloping 30' driveway to the sidewalk, then an awkward (typical) curb ramp that intersects the asphalt and crown of of the road.

The garage is a small, one-car affair, and only my bikes fit in there. To go in, I ride up the driveway and close the garage door. To leave again, I must back the bike down the driveway, and either cut the corner to the flat sidewalk (how I dropped the ST) or continue back and on to the street. The ST being a "tall" bike is problematic in that when going to the street, at one point my feet cannot touch the ground.

You see where this is leading.

With the Rocket's mass, and at least one reviewer writing, "This bike puts a premium on one's parking . . . choose parking wisely", I'm concerned about my ability to walk the Rocket down the driveway backwards, to a point where I may motor forward.

Your thoughts most appreciated.

Thank you.
Seriously mate I would move house .

Yes I was expecting that one, for sure.

Mama is happy in the house, and it'll soon be ours free and clear, and . . .

My driveway is also on a hill. I start up my bike in the garage and roll it backwards down the hill with me sitting in it. I just use the front brake to control the speed. I have never felt unsafe but I am tall and can easily plant both feet flat on the ground.

Last edited:
Forgot to add one point...
The Rocket has wide handle bars that offer very good leverage. I find the bike very easy to move a round compared to sport bikes with narrow clip on style bars.

Last edited:
IMG_1422.jpg
you won't have an issue mate. Any motorbike needs to be handled with care and if your landscape is conducive to your comfort, why not get yourself a turntable. Ride up your drive onto the turn table, stand down, spin the bike around and park it ready to drive straight out when you are ready next.

Is there such a thing, or do I have to search the landscape for one abandoned by an old steam railroad ?

No really, that is a neat idea I had never considered. How would one go about it ?

Hmm, just putting that term in the browser, I see it's "out there". Why didn't I meet you ten years ago ?

Thank you !

Back